live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, a central mediator in ceasefire talks, dismissed Israeli suggestions that Palestinians leaving Gaza amounts to “voluntary displacement,” calling the idea “nonsense.”
Speaking at a press conference in Cairo on Saturday alongside Philippe Lazzarini, head of the United Nations (U.N.) agency for Palestinian refugees, Abdelatty said Israel’s actions were forcing civilians from their land.
“If there is a manmade famine (in Gaza), it is to push residents out of their land. It is nonsense to say that this is voluntary displacement,” he told reporters.
His remarks came after Israel urged Gaza City residents to head south as its forces pressed deeper into the territory’s largest urban area.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Palestinians should be able to leave voluntarily, describing it as a basic human right during wartime.
Egypt, which has hosted multiple rounds of negotiations, is pushing for a new ceasefire.
Abdelatty said he spoke on Friday with U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff to intensify efforts to implement the latest proposal, but accused Israel of blocking progress.
Hamas announced last month it had accepted a 60-day truce plan that would see the release of half the hostages in Gaza in exchange for Palestinian prisoners.
The deal also called for Israel to suspend military operations for two months and laid out a framework for ending the nearly two-year conflict.
Netanyahu rejected the terms, saying Israel would only continue negotiations under conditions acceptable to its security needs, and vowed operations would resume immediately after any temporary pause.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
Former Ukrainian Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov has called for elections despite the war with Russia, mounting what is widely seen as the biggest domestic political challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment