South Korea seeks talks after Trump orders cut to U.S. military drills
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military...
The head of Yemen’s Presidential Council, Rashad al-Alimi, has ordered all forces linked to the United Arab Emirates to leave Yemen within 24 hours.
The presidential council has also imposed a state of emergency for 90 days and 72-hour ban on all border crossings into territory they hold. As well as, cancelling the joint defence agreement with the UAE.
This comes after the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen launched a “limited air strike” targeting what it describes as foreign military support at the Mukalla port.
On Tuesday morning, they targeted two ships they say were carrying large quantities of weapons and combat vehicles to “support” the UAE-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC).
Coalition spokesperson Turki al-Malki said two ships arrived at Mukalla port from the UAE over the weekend without any authorisation from the coalition.
This comes days after the Saudi-led coalition warned the southern separatist group against making military moves in Yemen’s eastern province of Hadramout.
Saudi state media has reported that there were no casualties from the strike. While, the coalition spokesperson said the operation was out in accordance with international humanitarian law.
Yemen has been entangled in a civil war since 2014.
The STC separatists were once part of the Saudi-led alliance that intervened Yemen against the Houthis in 2015. Since then, they have broken away from the alliance.
These recent advances have put pressure on ties between Saudi Arabia and the UAE, which both countries support rival groups within Yemen’s government.
Saudia Arabia has called the UAE's support for a separatist offensive in Yemen a "threat to the Kingdom's national security".
There has been no immediate comment from the UAE on the air strike and statement.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
U.S. President Donald Trump's threats to make the Strait of Hormuz part of U.S. territory have been mocked by Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister, Kazem Gharibabadi, who said the sea passage "cannot be seized by tweet."
At least 47 people have been killed after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck off eastern Indonesia early on Saturday, triggering small tsunami waves and dozens of aftershocks, officials say.
Russia and Ukraine traded large-scale overnight attacks targeting energy, industrial and military facilities on Saturday, with a three-month-old baby killed and 11 people injured in a Russian drone strike on a residential building in Ukraine’s Dnipropetrovsk region.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favorable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 17th of August, covering the latest developments.
Rescuers in eastern Indonesia will search collapsed buildings on Monday for survivors who may still be trapped under the rubble after a deadly earthquake killed at least 53 people. The country is marking its Independence Day as it reels from the latest tremors.
More than 183,000 customers across Hawaii were without power as Tropical Storm Lala weakened after bringing hurricane-force winds, heavy rain, and flooding to the islands.
Canadian measures aimed at preventing terrorist financing can obstruct legitimate humanitarian work by Muslim charities, particularly when aid is destined for countries considered high-risk, according to a new study.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment