Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
U.S. forces carried out a precision strike on a suspected transnational drug vessel in the southern Caribbean, killing all 11 people aboard, President Donald Trump and the Pentagon confirmed on Tuesday.
The strike, first announced by Trump at the White House, targeted the Venezuela-based Tren de Aragua criminal network, which Washington designated a foreign terrorist organisation earlier this year.
“The strike occurred while the terrorists were at sea in international waters transporting illegal narcotics, heading to the United States,” Trump said in a statement posted online. “The strike resulted in 11 terrorists killed in action. No U.S. forces were harmed. Let this be a warning to anybody thinking about bringing drugs into the United States. Beware.”
A senior defence official said more details will be released later, describing the attack as a significant operation against a “designated narco-terrorist organisation.” Secretary of State Marco Rubio also confirmed the strike, saying the vessel had departed from Venezuela.
The operation marks a sharp departure from the traditional U.S. approach to counter-narcotics missions in the region, which usually involve interdictions by the Coast Guard and arrests under bilateral legal frameworks with regional partners. Instead, this was a direct military strike, underscoring Washington’s intensifying stance on transnational crime networks.
A show of force in the Caribbean
The strike comes as the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps expand their presence in the Caribbean amidst rising tensions with Caracas and growing concerns about Venezuela’s alleged ties to criminal groups. Around 5,000 sailors and Marines are currently deployed in the region under a White House-directed mission.
The Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group, with the embarked 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, is operating near Puerto Rico. Its flagship, USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7), is joined by USS Fort Lauderdale (LPD-28) and USS San Antonio (LPD-17). Over the weekend, Marines trained alongside Puerto Rico’s National Guard, including jungle exercises and disaster response drills.
Two guided-missile destroyers – USS Jason Dunham (DDG-109) and USS Gravely (DDG-107) – along with cruiser USS Lake Erie (CG-70) are also in Caribbean waters, while USS Sampson (DDG-102) has been sighted near the Panama Canal. Some of these vessels are carrying Coast Guard law enforcement detachments, highlighting the dual military-law enforcement nature of the mission.
Strategic backdrop
The deployment marks the first time in months that a U.S. amphibious ready group with embarked Marines has deployed from American shores, following readiness challenges within the amphibious fleet. It also reflects the administration’s strategy of projecting strength in the region, combining counter-narcotics operations with deterrence against hostile actors.
Trump has sharpened rhetoric against Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro, accusing his government of shielding criminal networks. By striking at Tren de Aragua directly at sea, Washington signals its readiness to use military force against groups it labels narco-terrorists — setting a precedent for how future operations in the Caribbean may unfold.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment