Business Europe: Barcelona, tokenisation and the future of finance
AnewZ Business Europe, a new weekday programme, takes viewers inside companies driving growth and innovati...
The United States and Panama have put forward a new draft resolution at the United Nations Security Council, seeking to tackle the growing threat of armed gangs in Haiti and to establish a more sustainable UN-backed security mechanism.
Acting US Ambassador to the UN, Dorothy Shea, said the proposal includes the creation of a “gang suppression force” as well as a UN support office to provide logistical and operational assistance.
“The mission must be properly resourced to hold territory, protect infrastructure and work in close coordination with the Haitian National Police,” she told the Council.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres urged members to act without delay, stressing the importance of predictable financing and tougher enforcement of the arms embargo. According to UN estimates, most of the weapons in the hands of Haitian gangs are trafficked from Florida.
The UN's International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) Executive Director Catherine Russell warned that children are bearing the brunt of the crisis. She reported a 700% rise in the recruitment and use of children by armed groups in the first quarter of 2025 compared with the same period last year.
“Children now make up around half of the members of these armed groups. Many are being forced into combat roles, while others are exploited as couriers, lookouts, porters or for domestic labour,” she said.
Haiti’s Deputy Ambassador to the UN, Fritzner Gaspard, told the Security Council that the humanitarian situation is worsening at an alarming pace. He pointed out that only half of the country’s health facilities remain functional, malnutrition is on the rise, and sexual violence is increasingly being used as a weapon against women and children. He stressed that resolving the humanitarian crisis is impossible without tackling the severe security crisis.
Representatives of Panama and the Dominican Republic echoed these concerns, highlighting that 5.7 million Haitians are suffering from acute food insecurity. They underlined that without security, no programme on nutrition, health or education can succeed.
The UN-backed multinational force currently has fewer than 1,000 troops — less than half the intended number.
With the crisis deepening, Haiti’s government has also sought support from the private security firm Vectus, owned by Erik Prince, which began operating in March and is deploying drones as part of its operations.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role in the country.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of August, covering the latest developments.
TikTok and its Chinese parent company, ByteDance, have agreed to pay $400 million to settle U.S. government allegations that the popular video-sharing app failed to properly protect children’s privacy.
Poland has sharply criticised Israel’s handling of an investigation into the killing of Polish aid worker Damian Sobol, saying the decision to end proceedings has deepened concerns over accountability for the Israeli military’s conduct in Gaza.
Ukrainian drone attacks across Russia and Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine killed at least 10 people, Russian officials said, while Russian air defences shot down six drones flying toward Moscow early Sunday.
Tunisian authorities have recovered the bodies of four migrants after a boat carrying 15 people capsized off the southeastern coast, with search operations continuing for those still missing, according to a migrant rights group.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment