Germany tells nationals to leave Iran, fearing retaliation over sanctions
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's ro...
Indian rescue teams deployed helicopters on Thursday to evacuate people stranded by floods in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, nearly 48 hours after sudden flooding and landslides left four dead and many still unaccounted for.
Access to the village of Dharali in Uttarkashi district, a popular tourist area, was cut off due to collapsed roads and massive boulders, after a surge of floodwater swept through, engulfing homes and vehicles in thick sludge.
State chief minister Pushkar Singh Dhami said helicopter crews had been briefed to carry out the rescue operation efficiently.
“The heli-rescue operation began this morning in the affected areas,” he said on X.
Footage from the region showed army personnel removing boulders by hand and with machinery, working through roads turned into torrents of mud and water.
According to army and state officials, around 200 people were rescued on Tuesday and Wednesday, though many are still believed to be trapped or missing.
Dharali, a small village of roughly 200 residents located more than 1,150 metres above sea level, serves as a rest stop for Hindu pilgrims on their way to the sacred town of Gangotri.
“We saw Dharali being swept away before our eyes,” said Anamika Mehra, a pilgrim en route to Gangotri when the disaster struck.
“We were terrified, but the locals helped us, and the army arrived the next day to rescue us,” she told ANI news agency.
Uttarakhand frequently experiences floods and landslides, phenomena that experts say are increasingly linked to climate change.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Music mega-star Taylor Swift and National Football League player Travis Kelce announced their engagement. “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married," the couple wrote in a joint Instagram post, alongside photos of Kelce proposing to Swift in a garden of pink and white flowers.
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's role in triggering United Nations sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme.
Britain has barred Israeli government officials from attending its largest defence trade show, DSEI UK 2025, in response to Israel's escalating military operations in Gaza. The move marks a rare rebuke of a historically close ally during rising humanitarian concerns.
Afghan officials said Pakistani drones struck homes in Nangarhar and Khost provinces late on Wednesday, killing three people and wounding seven, prompting the Taliban government to summon Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul on Thursday in protest.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 29th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Microsoft has dismissed four employees for protesting against its ties to Israel, including two who staged a sit-in at the office of company president Brad Smith this week.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment