live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Fourteen Western allies have condemn Iranian Intelligence services, accusing it of a surge in alleged assassinations targeting individuals in Europe and North America.
U.S., UK and 12 other allies including France, Germany and Canada have also condemned Iran for alleged kidnapping and harassment plots calling the actions a breach of their sovereignty.
The countries said in a joint statement on Thursday "We are united in our opposition to the attempts of Iranian intelligence services to kill, kidnap, and harass people in Europe and North America in clear violation of our sovereignty."
The statement was backed by Albania, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czechia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, the UK and the U.S., who urged Iran to halt the operations, which they said are often carried out in partnership with international criminal networks.
Tehran rejected the allegations. Iran's foreign ministry described them as "blatant fabrications and a diversionary tactic, part of a malicious campaign of Iranophobia aimed at pressuring the Iranian people."
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei added, "The U.S. France, and the other signatories of the anti-Iranian statement must be held accountable for their support and hosting of terrorist and violent groups, which constitutes a violation of international law and support for terrorism."
Baghaei was referring to exiled opposition groups such as the Mujahadeen-e-Khalq, formerly designated a terrorist organization by the U.S. and European Union, now active in the West.
According to British authorities, more than 20 Iran-linked plots have been disrupted since early 2022, including ones targeting British nationals.
Reuters previously reported in October that Iran was behind a wave of attempted assassinations and abductions across Europe and the U.S.
In March, the UK said it would require Iran to register all political influence activity due to Tehran's increasingly aggressive behaviour.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment