Trump: Airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave...
An impostor used artificial intelligence to mimic Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s voice and writing style, contacting top U.S. and foreign officials in a bold deception campaign.
An impostor pretending to be Secretary of State Marco Rubio contacted at least five high-level officials, including three foreign ministers, a U.S. governor, and a member of Congress, according to a State Department cable obtained by The Washington Post.
The impersonation campaign began in mid-June when the unidentified actor created a Signal account using the display name “Marco.Rubio@state.gov.” Although it appeared official, it was not Rubio’s real email address. Using the account, the impostor left voicemails for at least two targets and sent text messages inviting them to communicate further on Signal, an encrypted messaging app extensively used by the Trump administration for both personal and official business.
According to the cable, the main aim of this campaign was likely to gain access to sensitive information or accounts held by the targeted officials. A senior U.S. official said the impersonator used AI-powered software to mimic Rubio’s voice and writing style convincingly enough to deceive powerful figures.
Digital forensics expert Hany Farid of the University of California, Berkeley, said such operations do not require a sophisticated actor. “You just need 15–20 seconds of audio of the person, which is easy in Marco Rubio’s case. You upload it to any number of services, click a button that says ‘I have permission to use this person’s voice,’ and then type what you want him to say,” he explained. Farid added that voicemails are particularly effective because they are not interactive, allowing AI-generated voices to remain convincing.
The State Department has launched an investigation and urged its personnel to report any impersonation attempts to the Bureau of Diplomatic Security. Non-State Department officials have been advised to alert the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center.
The FBI, which previously issued a warning in May about malicious actors impersonating senior officials using AI-generated voice and text messages, declined to comment on this specific incident. Their warning cautioned that such campaigns are intended to extract sensitive information or funds from targeted individuals and institutions.
This incident follows other high-profile impersonation attempts. In May, someone breached White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles’ phone, using her identity to place calls and send messages to senators, governors, and business executives. Although President Donald Trump dismissed the significance of that incident, saying Wiles is “an amazing woman” who “can handle it,” it spurred a joint White House and FBI investigation.
Internationally, AI-powered impersonation campaigns are on the rise. In June, Ukraine’s Security Service announced that Russian intelligence agents were impersonating their officials to recruit civilians for sabotage missions. Around the same time, Canadian authorities warned that AI-generated voice and text scams were targeting senior government officials to steal sensitive data or inject malware into networks.
These developments underscore growing concerns over AI misuse in cybersecurity. While Signal remains widely used in government circles for its reliable end-to-end encryption, experts warn that AI voice cloning makes it easier than ever to deceive targets.
The State Department cable emphasised vigilance, warning that such impersonation attempts could undermine diplomatic security. The FBI has reiterated that any message claiming to be from a senior US official should never be assumed authentic without direct verification.
As AI capabilities advance rapidly, governments worldwide are grappling with the security risks posed by deepfake audio and text. For now, officials are being urged to maintain strict security protocols and to remain alert for any unexpected contact, regardless of how familiar the voice at the other end might sound.
At least 47 people have died and another 21 are reported missing following ten days of heavy rainfall, floods, and landslides across Sri Lanka, local media reported on Thursday (27 November).
Hong Kong fire authorities said they expected to wrap up search and rescue operations on Friday after the city's worst fire in nearly 80 years tore through a massive apartment complex, killing at least 128 people, injuring 79 and leaving around 200 still missing.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth visited sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier in the Latin American region on Thursday, amid a military buildup by President Donald Trump’s administration that has heightened tensions with Venezuela.
At least 153 people have been killed in Sri Lanka after landslides and flooding caused by Cyclone Ditwah, officials said on Saturday, with 191 others missing and more than half a million affected nationwide.
The Spanish agricultural sector has been placed on high alert following the confirmation that African Swine Fever (ASF) has resurfaced in the country for the first time in over thirty years.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the airspace above and surrounding Venezuela should be considered "closed in its entirety", but gave no further details as Washington ramps up pressure on President Nicolas Maduro's government.
China announced a sweeping inspection of fire-safety standards in high-rise buildings nationwide on Saturday after a deadly fire in Hong Kong left at least 128 people dead.
The death toll from floods and landslides following cyclonic rains in the Indonesian island of Sumatra has risen to 303, the head of the country's disaster mitigation agency said on Saturday, up from a previous figure of 174.
Hong Kong on Saturday mourned the 128 people known to have died in a massive fire at a high-rise apartment complex, a toll that is likely to rise with 150 still missing days after the disaster.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment