WUF13 offers Azerbaijan a stage for diplomacy and regional cooperation
As cities increasingly take on greater geopolitical significance amidst conflicts, climate change and shifting ...
Formula One cars from the 1950s to the 1970s returned to the streets of Monaco on Sunday (26 April) for the 15th Historic Grand Prix, organised by the Automobile Club of Monaco.
Dozens of classic racing cars took part in a series of events across the weekend, using the same narrow circuit that will host June’s Formula One Grand Prix. The races offered spectators a close look at machines from different eras of the sport.
Sunday morning’s programme included several categories. These ranged from front-engined cars built before 1961 to later rear-engined models and 3-litre cars from the 1960s and 1970s.
Each group reflected a distinct period in Formula One history, with drivers navigating the tight corners of Monte Carlo in cars that once defined the sport.
The Historic Grand Prix takes place every two years and continues to draw growing crowds. Many visitors lined the streets and harbour to watch the vehicles pass through the circuit’s well-known sections.
The Monaco circuit remains one of the most recognisable in motorsport. It first hosted a Formula One race in 1950, shortly after the championship began at Silverstone Circuit. Races had already been held on the streets of Monaco since 1929.
The track has changed little over time. Drivers pass landmarks such as Sainte Dévote, the Casino Square and the tight Fairmont hairpin before entering the tunnel and returning to the harbour. The layout is known for its narrow roads and limited overtaking opportunities, placing strong emphasis on driver control and precision.
The event also highlights the history of Formula One through its race categories. These include early pre-war cars, post-war front-engined designs, and later models that introduced rear engines, improved aerodynamics and turbo technology.
Organisers say the Historic Grand Prix serves as a tribute to more than a century of motor racing. It also provides a link between past and present, as older cars return to the same streets where modern Formula One drivers will compete in the weeks ahead.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Washington could destroy Iran’s infrastructure “in two days,” while Tehran warned the U.S. would face growing economic costs from the conflict. The remarks came as Hezbollah reported new attacks on Israeli forces despite an extended Lebanon ceasefire.
At least eight people have died and 32 others were injured after a freight train collided with a public bus at a railway crossing in Bangkok on Saturday (16 May), triggering a fire that quickly spread through the vehicle.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said plans to strengthen frontline units on the border with South Korea, as well as other major units, were key to "more thoroughly deterring war," state media KCNA reported on Monday.
China will address U.S. concerns about rare earth shortages, the White House said on Sunday in a recap of agreements struck at last week's leaders summit that fell short of calling for the removal of restrictions that have disrupted U.S. aerospace and semiconductor manufacturing.
Samsung Electronics and its labour union commenced high-stakes talks on Monday (18 May) in a last-ditch bid to avert what would be the biggest strike in the tech giant's history.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment