Iran designates EU naval and air forces as ‘terrorist entities’ in reciprocal move
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal...
Israel launched a late-night air raid targeting a southern Beirut neighborhood, claiming it struck a building housing "precision-guided" missiles for Hezbollah.
Israeli authorities said they ordered an evacuation of the area before authorizing the strike. No immediate casualties were reported.
Lebanese President Joseph Aoun swiftly condemned the Israeli assault, calling on international actors like the United States and France to intervene before the situation spirals further out of control. Aoun, who has vowed to disarm Hezbollah and consolidate all weapons under state authority, said earlier this month he hopes Hezbollah’s arms will either be withdrawn or restricted solely to state forces by 2025.
However, Aoun’s optimism faces serious challenges. Israel’s intensified military actions and Hezbollah’s firm refusal to negotiate the status of its weapons are squeezing Lebanon's fragile political landscape. Neither Hezbollah nor Israel appears willing to make concession, leaving Aoun caught in the middle.
Israel maintains that its operations are necessary to prevent Hezbollah from rebuilding its military capabilities. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz issued a joint statement claiming that missiles stored in Beirut "posed a significant threat to Israel." They reaffirmed Israel’s right to take unilateral action against perceived threats "anywhere in Lebanon" and insisted the Lebanese government "bears direct responsibility for preventing these threats."
Meanwhile, Hezbollah’s leader, Sheikh Naim Qassem, remains defiant. In a recent televised speech, Qassem demanded Israel’s full withdrawal from occupied Lebanese border areas before any discussion about Hezbollah’s weapons could take place. He declared, "Remove this issue from your vocabulary, as no one will disarm us."
Hezbollah has long insisted that its arsenal forms a part of its resistance strategy against Israel and acts as a deterrent to future aggression.
Since the ceasefire agreement that ended last year’s war between Israel and Hezbollah, regional tensions have escalated significantly. So far, Hezbollah has refrained from serious retaliatory measures. However, officials including Qassem have warned that their patience has limits.
Many Lebanese civilians remain displaced, afraid to return to the country's south where Israeli bombardments continue with apparent impunity.
Israel, for its part, argues that the ceasefire—based largely on U.N. Security Council Resolution 1701—requires Hezbollah to withdraw north of the Litani River, roughly 18 miles from the Israel-Lebanon border. Israeli officials claim Hezbollah’s continued presence in the south constitutes a breach of the agreement.
Meanwhile, Lebanon’s Prime Minister Nawaf Salam also condemned Israel’s attacks, calling them acts of terror against civilians "eager to return to normal life." Salam urged the countries that brokered the cessation of hostilities to pressure Israel into halting its strikes and demanded Israel’s complete withdrawal from Lebanese territory.
"Lebanon is fully committed to the provisions of Resolution 1701 and the security arrangements agreement," Salam affirmed. He added that the Lebanese Army is expanding its deployment across the south and other regions to extend the authority of the state and ultimately bring all weapons under national control.
Lebanon’s leadership now faces a delicate balancing act: protecting the country from further Israeli escalation while working toward a domestic political settlement that would fully integrate Hezbollah’s arms into state institutions. The more Israel strikes Lebanon, the more it serves as a pretext for Hezbollah to keep its weapons and resist any calls for disarmament.
For now, the path forward appears blocked, as both Israel and Hezbollah harden their positions—leaving Lebanese civilians trapped in the crossfire. The latest Israeli attack has become yet another test for whether the ceasefire will ultimately hold.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
Iran announced on Saturday that it has designated the naval and air forces of European Union member states as “terrorist entities” in a reciprocal move after the EU blacklisted the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
At least 10 people were killed and 50 wounded in Israeli strikes in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley on Friday (20 February), two security sources told Reuters, after the Israeli military said it had targeted Hezbollah sites in the Baalbek area.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi on Saturday (21 February) dismissed U.S. claims that 32,000 civilians were killed during protests in Iran. He said Tehran has already released official figures and called for evidence to support any higher estimates.
Uzbekistan's president Shavkat Mirziyoyev has held a series of high-level meetings in the U.S. aimed at strengthening bilateral economic and strategic ties between the two countries.
Türkiye has signalled readiness to contribute to a proposed Gaza stabilisation force during the inaugural Board of Peace meeting on Thursday (19 February), but according to former Turkish diplomat Mehmet Öğütçü, the decisive factor will be whether Israel and the United States agree on Ankara’s role.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment