Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Israel has decided not to pull its troops from the Philadelphi Corridor, the border zone between Gaza and Egypt. This follows expectations of a withdrawal contingent on a ceasefire extension. The Philadelphi Route aims to control illegal movements and materials.
Israel has decided to maintain its military presence in the Philadelphi Corridor, the border area between the Gaza Strip and Egypt, according to CNN sources.
It was previously expected that the military would begin withdrawing from the corridor in early March if the current ceasefire, set to expire on Saturday, was extended.
A source shared a message sent by Israeli media on Thursday, February 27, with CNN.
"We will not exit the Philadelphi Corridor," the message stated. It also emphasised that "Israel will not allow Hamas to roam the border with trucks and rifles again."
The Philadelphi Corridor, also called Philadelphi Route, is the Israeli code name for a narrow strip of land situated along the entirety of the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.
Following Israel's 2005 disengagement from the Gaza Strip, the Philadelphi Accord with Egypt was concluded, which authorised Egypt to deploy 750 border guards along the route to patrol the border on Egypt's side. The Palestinian side of the border was controlled by the Palestinian Authority until the 2007 takeover by Hamas. The joint authority for the Rafah Border Crossing was transferred to the Palestinian Authority and Egypt for restricted passage by Palestinian ID card holders, and by others by exception.
One purpose of the Philadelphi Route was to prevent the movement of illegal materials (including weapons and ammunition) and people between Egypt and the Gaza Strip.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following a major overhaul of the country’s parliamentary system.
Azerbaijan and Uzbekistan have elevated bilateral ties with a Treaty on Eternal Friendship signed by Presidents Ilham Aliyev and Shavkat Mirziyoyev in Tashkent on 23 August. The leaders also agreed to expand trade, investment, transport, and regional cooperation.
Syria has called for international action after an Israeli drone strike hit a civilian vehicle near Damascus, warning that continued Israeli attacks could deepen instability and put civilians at greater risk.
Pakistan says it has added 12 sites to its UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List, taking the total from 25 to 37 and widening the country's roster of potential future nominations.
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speeding up cross-border transport and cutting bureaucracy.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment