live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi rejected as “incorrect” the report by a Kuwaiti newspaper on recent contacts between Tehran and Washington and also condemned President Trump's threats of renewed attacks if Iran resumed nuclear enrichment.
“It is incorrect. We deny it. There has been no contact,” he said when asked by news media after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
Araghchi made the statement with regards to a report by the Kuwait-based daily Al-Jarida saying Iran and the United States have reportedly been in direct contact and are expected to resume their stalled talks which were discontinued after the U.S. joined Israel’s war against the Islamic Republic last June.
Quoting unnamed sources in Iran, the Kuwaiti publication said the suspended talks between Araghchi and US Special Envoy to Middle East Steve Witkoff have gained a new momentum following a series of overtures regarding possible resumption of the nuclear negotiations.
Araghchi earlier in a post on X, rejected allegations by the President Trump that Iran has been building nuclear weapons, in a bid to justify attacking Iran’s civilian nuclear centers under UN verification.
"If POTUS (President of the United States) was to glance at the minutes of those talks—recorded by our interlocutor—he would see just how close we were to celebrating a new and historic Iran nuclear deal," he added.
The unconfirmed report on possible talks between Iran and the US emerged as the pre-2015 UN nuclear sanctions were reimposed against Tehran in September after France, Germany and the UK referred their dispute with Iran to the Security Council.
The Iranian lawmakers are demanding the Foreign Ministry lower Tehran’s diplomatic relations with the E3 saying their move against Iran was meant to secure the U.S. support for Ukraine in its war with Russia.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Syria says it assured Israel that Türkiye had no plans to establish a military presence at the Abu al-Duhur airbase before Israeli forces struck the site on Tuesday.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has issued his strongest warning yet over Türkiye's growing military role in Syria, saying Israel will not accept Turkish forces expanding their presence further south.
Azerbaijan’s support for Ukraine could provide a model for neighbouring countries seeking to strengthen their sovereignty, the director of development at an organisation supporting Ukraine’s armed forces has told AnewZ.
Two days inside Uzbekistan’s newsrooms, hospitals, factories and technology hubs reveal a country eager to show how it is changing — while that transformation is still under way.
Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani arrived in Islamabad on Wednesday for a two-day visit, marking the first trip by Syria’s top diplomat to Pakistan in 19 years as Damascus seeks to deepen ties with the country.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment