live Russia signals openness to new Ukraine peace ideas
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russia...
Grammy-winning hip-hop artist Kanye West has postponed his upcoming concert in Marseille, France, “until further notice”, amid mounting political opposition and renewed controversy over his past remarks.
The U.S. rapper, now known as "Ye" had been scheduled to perform on 11 June at the Orange Vélodrome in Marseille.
In a post on X, the 48-year-old said the decision came “after much thought and consideration.”
In a later post, West stated that he "takes full responsibility for what’s mine but I don’t want to put my fans in the middle of it."
French officials had raised concerns ahead of the concert, with Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez reportedly seeking to block the performance.
Marseille mayor Benoît Payan had earlier made clear the city’s opposition.
“I refuse to let Marseille become a showcase for those who promote hatred and unapologetic Nazism,” Payan said in March.
The postponement follows a series of international setbacks for the artist linked to his past antisemitic and pro-Nazi remarks.
Britain recently refused Ye entry after he was booked to headline the Wireless Festival in July, citing concerns over public good.
He was also barred from entering Australia last year after releasing the song "Heil Hitler" and promoting merchandise featuring Nazi imagery.
In January, Ye issued a public apology in a full-page advertisement in The Wall Street Journal, attributing his behaviour to an undiagnosed brain injury and untreated bipolar disorder, and distancing himself from previous statements.
Despite the controversy, he has continued to perform this year, including shows in the U.S. and Mexico City.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
American actress Hayden Panettiere, known for her roles in TV shows such as Nashville and Heroes, has died at the age of 36, ABC News reported on Sunday, citing her representative.
Four artworks by 15th-century painter Antonello da Messina have been stolen overnight from the Museo Regionale di Messina, Italy's culture minister said on Sunday, expressing confidence in the police inquiry.
Cristiano Ronaldo has given one of his clearest indications yet that his playing career is nearing its end, saying the 2026-27 season will “probably” be his last in professional football.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has changed Eurovision Song Contest rules to allow a winning country to be blocked from hosting if security risks, armed conflict or geopolitical tensions make it unsafe to stage the event.
Each summer, Gabala becomes a gathering point for artists, musicians and audiences from across Azerbaijan and beyond.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment