Uzbekistan and Georgia launch digital permits to speed up freight
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speed...
Former U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz paid tens of thousands to women for drugs and sex, including with a 17-year-old, violating laws and House rules, a draft Ethics report reveals. Gaetz denies wrongdoing and sued to block the report's release after resigning last month.
The U.S. House Ethics Committee has concluded that former Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz paid tens of thousands of dollars to women for drugs and sex, including with a 17-year-old girl, U.S. media reported on Monday (23 December), citing a final draft of the panel's report.
Gaetz, who has denied any wrongdoing, resigned from the House of Representatives last month after being selected by President-elect Donald Trump to serve as attorney general. He withdrew from consideration due to facing a challenging confirmation battle in the Senate.
In an effort to prevent the release of the report, expected on Monday, Gaetz filed a lawsuit on Monday in federal court in Washington, DC, against the Ethics panel, arguing that it no longer had jurisdiction after Gaetz resigned from Congress.
"The Committee's position regarding its lack of authority over former members represents a clear, well-established policy rather than an isolated interpretation," Gaetz's lawyers wrote in a complaint.
His lawyers sought an emergency order to temporarily block the publication of the report, which they argued would contain "untruthful and defamatory information" about Gaetz.
Reuters was not immediately able to contact Gaetz for comment.
The report found that Gaetz paid more than $90,000 to 12 different women, payments the Ethics panel determined were likely in connection with sexual activity and drug use, CBS News reported. CNN reported similar details of the draft report. Both outlets said his actions violated Florida state laws.
The panel's report concluded that Gaetz violated House rules and other standards of conduct banning prostitution, statutory rape, and drug use, CBS reported.
It also found "substantial evidence" that Gaetz engaged in illicit drug use, CBS reported. Additionally, it accused him of accepting gifts of luxury travel exceeding permissible limits during a 2018 trip to The Bahamas, CBS added.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Kanye West’s first solo concert in Central Asia delivered an estimated five billion tenge ($11 million) tourism boost to Almaty, drawing 31,000 spectators from more than 50 countries.
American actress Hayden Panettiere, known for her roles in TV shows such as Nashville and Heroes, has died at the age of 36, ABC News reported on Sunday, citing her representative.
Four artworks by 15th-century painter Antonello da Messina have been stolen overnight from the Museo Regionale di Messina, Italy's culture minister said on Sunday, expressing confidence in the police inquiry.
Cristiano Ronaldo has given one of his clearest indications yet that his playing career is nearing its end, saying the 2026-27 season will “probably” be his last in professional football.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has changed Eurovision Song Contest rules to allow a winning country to be blocked from hosting if security risks, armed conflict or geopolitical tensions make it unsafe to stage the event.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment