Uzbekistan and Georgia launch digital permits to speed up freight
Uzbekistan and Georgia have launched an electronic permit system for international road freight, replacing paper documents in a move aimed at speed...
Honda and Nissan are exploring deeper collaboration, including a potential merger, to address growing competition from Tesla and Chinese EV makers. The move could create the world's third-largest automaker, reshaping Japan's automotive industry.
Honda and Nissan are in discussions to strengthen ties, potentially through a merger, two sources revealed on Wednesday. This move highlights how Japan's auto industry is responding to challenges from Tesla and Chinese competitors.
A merged Honda-Nissan entity would become the world's third-largest automaker, with a market value of $54 billion and annual production of 7.4 million vehicles, trailing only Toyota and Volkswagen.
The two companies established a strategic partnership in March to collaborate on electric vehicle (EV) development. However, Nissan's mounting financial troubles have accelerated the need for closer cooperation.
Last month, Nissan announced a $2.6 billion cost-saving plan, including 9,000 job cuts and a 20% reduction in production capacity, following an 85% drop in second-quarter profits due to weak sales in China and the US.
“This seems like an effort to rescue Nissan, but Honda is also facing challenges,” said Sanshiro Fukao of the Itochu Research Institute. Honda expects weaker cash flow next year and struggles in its EV segment.
Nissan shares surged over 22% on Wednesday, while Honda shares dipped 2.3%.
Mitsubishi shares rose 13%. The talks aim to enhance technological collaboration and could lead to a holding company or even a full merger, sources said. Cooperation with Mitsubishi Motors, in which Nissan owns a 24% stake, is also being explored.
Neither company has announced a deal, though they have acknowledged exploring collaboration opportunities.
“A Honda-Nissan merger could revitalise Japan's auto industry by providing competition to Toyota,” said Seiji Sugiura of Tokai Tokyo Intelligence Laboratory. However, integrating their differing corporate cultures and navigating US trade policies could pose challenges.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Once associated mainly with Muslim-majority countries, Islamic finance has become a global industry. Its assets reached around $5.98 trillion in 2025, according to ICD–LSEG, as more countries explore Shariah-compliant finance.
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia’s economy as refinery outages and rising imports weigh on the rouble.
Azerbaijan exported goods worth $17.372 million to Armenia between January and July 2026, according to data from the State Customs Committee, as commercial ties between the two South Caucasus neighbours showed signs of expansion.
Online fast-fashion platform Shein lost a London copyright lawsuit against rival Temu on Thursday over photographs used to promote some products.
Norway’s $2.3 trillion sovereign wealth fund has revealed a 0.05 per cent stake in SpaceX worth $1.22 billion, marking its first reported holding in Elon Musk’s space company.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment