Germany tells nationals to leave Iran, fearing retaliation over sanctions
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's ro...
NATO member states have reached a consensus on a landmark defence spending target of 5% of GDP by 2035, paving the way for a formal announcement at the alliance’s upcoming summit in The Hague.
NATO diplomats confirmed on Sunday that all 32 member nations have approved a joint statement establishing a new goal for defence and security-related expenditure. The agreement follows extensive negotiations, with Spain previously voicing concerns over the scale of the proposed increase. However, a consensus was ultimately reached ahead of the high-level summit set to begin on Wednesday.
The statement, which remains unofficial until it is endorsed by NATO leaders, including U.S. President Donald Trump, represents a significant shift in the alliance’s defence posture. Currently, NATO’s formal target is set at 2% of GDP, a benchmark many members have struggled to meet. The proposed 5% goal signals a robust response to growing global security threats and aims to bolster the alliance’s collective deterrence capabilities.
According to diplomatic sources, the new target is not expected to be immediately binding but will serve as a guiding objective for long-term defence planning. The text reportedly calls for a gradual and "sustainable path" toward the 2035 goal, with flexibility for national economic conditions.
The decision comes amid heightened tensions in Europe and renewed pressure from the United States for greater burden-sharing within the alliance. President Trump has repeatedly urged NATO allies to step up their defence commitments, a stance he is expected to reiterate during his address in The Hague.
The summit is also likely to feature discussions on NATO’s strategic posture, the ongoing conflict in Eastern Europe, cybersecurity coordination, and emerging threats in the Indo-Pacific region.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Music mega-star Taylor Swift and National Football League player Travis Kelce announced their engagement. “Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married," the couple wrote in a joint Instagram post, alongside photos of Kelce proposing to Swift in a garden of pink and white flowers.
Germany has told its nationals to leave Iran and refrain from travelling there to avoid getting caught in retaliatory acts by Tehran over Germany's role in triggering United Nations sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme.
Britain has barred Israeli government officials from attending its largest defence trade show, DSEI UK 2025, in response to Israel's escalating military operations in Gaza. The move marks a rare rebuke of a historically close ally during rising humanitarian concerns.
Afghan officials said Pakistani drones struck homes in Nangarhar and Khost provinces late on Wednesday, killing three people and wounding seven, prompting the Taliban government to summon Pakistan’s ambassador in Kabul on Thursday in protest.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 29th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Microsoft has dismissed four employees for protesting against its ties to Israel, including two who staged a sit-in at the office of company president Brad Smith this week.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment