Kazakhstan heads to first parliamentary election under new Constitution
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a ...
Brazil’s former President Jair Bolsonaro was taken into custody on Saturday after a Supreme Court justice cited an escape risk linked to a planned supporters’ vigil and evidence of tampering with his electronic ankle monitor, ending months of house arrest as he appeals his coup-plot conviction.
Justice Alexandre de Moraes ordered the detention, citing an “imminent risk of escape” as Bolsonaro’s supporters prepared to hold a large vigil outside his home in Brasília. According to the judge’s ruling, the gathering could “undermine surveillance measures” and create conditions that might enable the former president’s flight.
“The tumult caused by an illegal gathering of the convict’s supporters has a strong chance of putting at risk the house arrest and other precautionary measures, allowing for his eventual escape,” Moraes wrote in the decision.
Bolsonaro’s lawyers confirmed the detention and said they plan to appeal, calling the ruling “deeply perplexing” and arguing that the vigil was a peaceful, religious gathering protected under Brazil’s constitution. They added that the former president “was arrested at home, wearing an ankle monitor, and under police supervision.”
Ankle monitor tampering and asylum concerns
Court documents revealed that officers discovered burn marks and signs of tampering on Bolsonaro’s ankle monitor early Saturday. In a police video authorised by the court, Bolsonaro admitted to using a soldering iron to open the device but did not explain his motive.
The court noted that Bolsonaro had previously discussed seeking asylum at the Argentine Embassy in Brasília, citing that some of his close allies — including his son Eduardo Bolsonaro — have left Brazil to avoid prosecution.
Bolsonaro was taken to a federal police facility in the capital, where he is being held in a 12-square-metre cell equipped with a bed, television, air conditioning, and a private bathroom.
The Prosecutor General’s Office backed Moraes’ decision, describing Bolsonaro as “an extraordinarily willing participant” in acts that threatened national stability.
Political fallout and family reaction
The detention sparked immediate reaction from Bolsonaro’s allies and family members. His son, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, urged supporters to gather outside the family’s condominium.
“I invite you to come fight with us. With your strength, the strength of the people, we’ll fight back and rescue Brazil,” he said in a video posted online.
Another son, Eduardo Bolsonaro, told followers not to lose hope, saying, “Our opponent wants us to be desperate. It’s not over yet.”
Meanwhile, Institutional Relations Minister Gleisi Hoffmann defended the arrest, saying the move “strictly follows the rules of due process” and was based on “a real risk of escape by the leader of the coup organization.”
Legal and health context
Bolsonaro has faced multiple criminal cases since leaving office, including charges of undermining Brazil’s electoral system and seeking U.S. assistance to interfere in ongoing investigations. He was already under house arrest for more than 100 days in a separate case involving alleged foreign interference.
He was previously banned from running for office until 2030 after Brazil’s electoral court found him guilty of abusing state resources during his 2022 campaign.
Bolsonaro’s legal team had recently requested “humanitarian house arrest” on health grounds, citing complications from a 2018 stabbing during his presidential campaign. Justice Moraes rejected the request hours after his detention, stating that no medical condition justified exempting him from custody.
Next steps
The Supreme Court will review Moraes’ detention order on Monday, and Bolsonaro’s lawyers are expected to file an appeal.
If his convictions are upheld, Bolsonaro could face nearly three decades in prison, though his defence team has indicated they will seek permission for him to serve his sentence under house arrest due to health concerns.
For now, the man once dubbed the “Trump of the Tropics” remains behind bars — his political future uncertain, his movement fractured, and Brazil once again bracing for turbulence on the national stage.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment