Head of Red Cross warns mass evacuation of Gaza City impossible amidst Israeli assault
The head of the Red Cross said on Saturday that ensuring civilian safety during a mass evacuation of Gaza City would be difficult, as Israel stepped u...
In a televised address on Saturday night, U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced that American forces, in coordination with Israel, had conducted precision strikes on Iran’s Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan nuclear sites, aiming to dismantle Tehran’s enrichment capabilities.
The President stated that the objective of the mission was to disable Iran’s nuclear enrichment capacity, which U.S. and Israeli officials have long viewed as a potential proliferation risk. The Iranian government has not yet issued an official response to the reported strikes.
Targets: Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan
“These names have been known for years,” Trump said, referring to the targeted sites. “Tonight, those nuclear enrichment facilities were struck with precision.”
The President said the operation was a military success and claimed that the targeted facilities had been “completely and totally obliterated.” The mission reportedly involved advanced aircraft and military assets, though specific operational details remain classified.
Regional security and strategic messaging
President Trump framed the strikes as part of a broader strategy to deter further escalation in the Middle East. He also reiterated longstanding U.S. concerns regarding Iran’s regional activities and support for armed groups.
“This cannot continue,” he said, warning that further action would follow if there was no de-escalation. “There will be either peace or continued military response.”
Iranian authorities have not yet commented on the scale of the reported damage or the broader implications of the operation. Independent verification from international inspectors or third-party sources is not yet available.
Cooperation with Israel
Trump praised close coordination with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and acknowledged the Israeli military’s involvement. “We worked as a team,” he noted, emphasising the bilateral alignment in the lead-up to the operation.
The President also thanked American military personnel, including General Dan “Razin” Caine, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, who are expected to address the media at a Pentagon briefing scheduled for 8 a.m. on Sunday.
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
A Polish Air Force pilot was killed on Thursday when an F-16 fighter jet crashed during a training flight ahead of the 2025 Radom International Air Show.
The head of the Red Cross said on Saturday that ensuring civilian safety during a mass evacuation of Gaza City would be difficult, as Israel stepped up its military operations.
Russia launched a sweeping attack on Ukraine on Saturday, killing one person and injuring at least 24 others, including three children, in the southeastern city of Zaporizhzhia. The attack also caused significant damage to infrastructure and residential buildings, authorities reported.
Three people were killed and five injured in Indonesia after protesters set fire to a regional parliament building in Makassar. The violence escalated after a police armored vehicle struck and killed a ride-hailing driver in Jakarta, sparking nationwide unrest.
European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said on Saturday that Russia’s frozen assets will not be returned unless Moscow pays reparations for its invasion of Ukraine.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for the 30th of August, covering the latest developments you need to know.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment