Kosovo arrests 8 suspects over an explosion targeting vital water and power supplies; PM labels it a "terrorist act," while Serbia denies involvement in the incident.
PRISTINA, Nov 30 (Reuters) - Kosovo's interior minister Xelal Svecla said on Saturday that eight people had been arrested and a "huge arsenal of weapons" confiscated as part of its investigation into an explosion that threatened power and water supplies.
"Somehow we managed to fix the damage, arrest the suspects and confiscate a huge arsenal of weapons," Svecla said during a live-streamed press conference.
Earlier, Kosovo's Prime Minister Albin Kurti said that police had made arrests after an explosion hit a canal that transports water to its two main power plants, an incident Pristina labelled a "terrorist act" by neighbouring Serbia.
Serbia's President Aleksandar Vucic denied what he said were "baseless accusations" about Belgrade's alleged involvement.
Read next
17:17
UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy is traveling to Kosovo and Serbia to strengthen cooperation on security, addressing irregular migration, and combating serious organized crime.
16:00
Serbia has expressed concerns over the increasing military cooperation between Kosovo, Albania, and Croatia, formalized with the signing of a declaration in Tirana on Tuesday. Ministry of Foreign Affairs considered the military alliance as a "provocation".
14:48
Albania, Kosovo, and Croatia have signed the Trilateral Declaration on Military Alliance.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment