Türkiye vows continued support for Syria after Israeli airbase strike
Türkiye said on Thursday it would continue helping Syria strengthen its military, despite rising tensions with Israel over Ankara’s role...
Andriy Portnov, previously a senior aide to former Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovich, was gunned down outside a school in Madrid, raising concerns about politically motivated violence in Spain.
Unidentified gunmen shot and killed Andriy Portnov, a former Ukrainian politician, outside the American School of Madrid in the affluent suburb of Pozuelo de Alarcón on Wednesday, Spain’s Interior Ministry confirmed.
Portnov, 51, once served as a senior aide to former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich and fled to Russia in 2014 following a popular uprising. He was under investigation in Ukraine for alleged treason and embezzlement, and was sanctioned by both the European Union and the United States, though EU measures were later lifted. The U.S. Treasury sanctioned him in 2021, citing ties to Ukraine's judicial system built through corruption.
According to police, Portnov was shot multiple times - in the back and head - by several attackers who then fled into a nearby wooded area. Emergency services found him dead at the scene near a black Mercedes-Benz, with police cordoning off the area. The attack occurred around 9:15 a.m. local time, as students and parents were arriving at the school.
Sources at the American School told Reuters that the victim is believed to have been the parent of a student, although official identification is still pending. Authorities interviewed several parents who reportedly witnessed the shooting. The school has not released a public statement.
Portnov’s killing adds to a recent string of high-profile incidents involving Russian and Ukrainian nationals in Spain. In early 2024, a Russian pilot who had defected to Ukraine was shot dead near Alicante. In 2022, a Spanish man sent letter bombs to political and diplomatic targets, including the Ukrainian embassy.
Spanish authorities have launched a full investigation into Portnov’s death, but have not yet confirmed a motive or suspects.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
Virgin Trains has moved a step closer to challenging Eurostar’s three-decade dominance of Channel Tunnel passenger rail, potentially giving travellers more choice between the UK and mainland Europe.
Russia is open to listening to new proposals on how to reach a settlement on the Ukraine conflict, a senior Russian diplomat said, but any proposals should reflect the "realities on the ground".
Nearly 100 days after dozens of children were abducted from a school in northeastern Nigeria's Borno State, parents have taken to the streets to demand urgent government action to bring them home.
China and Indonesia have agreed to strengthen military ties and deepen cooperation in minerals, energy and technology as Jakarta balances relations with Beijing and Washington amid economic and geopolitical tensions.
An international conference in Baku on 21 August is putting Belgium’s colonial record in Africa under renewed scrutiny. Officials, United Nations experts, researchers and human rights advocates are gathering to discuss whether the country has done enough to address the legacy of its rule.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment