live Iran says Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until U.S. meets deal terms
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade ...
Countries have taken a major step toward finalizing a landmark global agreement aimed at preventing future pandemics.
The agreement follows more than three years of talks launched during the COVID-19 pandemic to address global gaps in pandemic readiness and response. If adopted, it would be the first legally binding deal of its kind under WHO’s Constitution, focused on stronger cooperation between countries, institutions, and private and civil sectors.
“Governments are acting together to make the world healthier, fairer and safer from future pandemic threats,” said WHO Director-General Dr TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS. “This agreement means countries will be better prepared and more united the next time a pandemic strikes.”
Namibia’s Health Minister, Dr ESPERANCE LUVINDAO, who chaired Monday’s committee session, called the deal a show of solidarity after the devastating global losses from COVID-19. “We owe this to the world’s children, elders and health workers,” she said.
If approved in Tuesday’s vote, the resolution will launch several key initiatives:
A new Pathogen Access and Benefit Sharing (PABS) system, which aims to ensure fair access to virus samples and resulting treatments or vaccines;
A global supply and logistics network to guarantee fast and equitable distribution of pandemic-related health tools;
The creation of a financial coordination mechanism to support global pandemic response efforts.
Under the proposed terms, vaccine and drug manufacturers would be expected to make 20% of real-time production of vaccines, treatments and tests available to WHO during a pandemic. Distribution would prioritize public health risk and developing countries.
The agreement complements recent updates to the International Health Regulations, which strengthen global outbreak detection and response.
Tuesday’s full assembly vote will be followed by high-level speeches from world leaders. If adopted, the deal will need 60 national ratifications to officially take effect.
WHO officials praised the efforts of negotiators and the support teams involved. “This is a historic achievement,” said Dr Tedros. “The world is safer today because of their work.”
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment