Afghanistan, Belarus agree to deepen industrial cooperation
Afghanistan and Belarus have agreed to advance joint industrial projects, investment and technical cooperation following talks in Minsk, as Kabul s...
Explosions were heard in Rawalpindi and Islamabad around 2:30 a.m. local time as a ballistic missile attack targeting Nur Khan Airbase was intercepted, according to Pakistani security sources.
The airbase, a key military installation in Rawalpindi, is frequently used by Pakistani leaders and foreign dignitaries.
Earlier on Friday, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir had arrived at Nur Khan Airbase for a diplomatic visit to Pakistan, raising concerns after the missile attack. Fortunately, the missile was intercepted, and no casualties or damage to the base were reported.
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s military spokesperson, Lieutenant General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, confirmed that India fired air-to-ground missiles at three air bases inside Pakistan: Nur Khan Airbase in Rawalpindi, Murid Airbase in Chakwal, and Shorkot Airbase. Despite the missile attacks, he assured that all assets of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) remain safe.
Chaudhry warned of a “befitting response” from Pakistan, adding, “Now just wait for our response.” He also claimed India had fired missiles and drones in Afghanistan, accusing India of destabilizing the region with its actions.
The spokesperson later said that the majority of Indian missiles launched towards Pakistan were successfully intercepted by the country's air defense systems.Chaudry further stated that the missiles that did make it through were unable to hit their intended targets. Additionally, Pakistan claims to have electronic signatures of all the missiles, which will help trace their origin.
Following the overnight missile attacks and ongoing military alerts, the Pakistan Airports Authority has announced that the country’s airspace will remain closed to all types of flights from 3:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. local time on May 10, 2025.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment