AnewZ Morning Brief - April 4th, 2025

Reuters

Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief: here are the top news stories for April 4th, covering the latest developments you need to know.

South Korea's President Yoon ousted as court upholds impeachment after martial law

South Korea’s Constitutional Court unanimously upheld President Yoon Suk Yeol’s impeachment on Friday over his declaration of martial law last year, ending months of political turmoil. The crisis had hindered Seoul’s engagement with the new Trump administration amid slowing economic growth.

A presidential election must now be held within 60 days, with Prime Minister Han Duck-soo serving as acting president in the meantime.

“The ruling removes a major source of uncertainty,” said Professor Leif-Eric Easley of Ewha University, noting the urgency as the next leader faces challenges from North Korea, China, and U.S. trade policies.

Deadly drone strike hits Kharkiv as Russian attacks intensify

A Russian drone strike hit residential buildings in Kharkiv late Thursday, killing at least two people and injuring 32, including two children, Ukrainian officials said. Fires broke out on rooftops in the Novobavarskyi district, and a third victim’s remains were later found, according to the mayor.

Nearby, one person was injured in a drone strike on the village of Ruski Tyshky. In Dnipro, three were wounded in a separate attack, while seven drones hit sites in Zaporizhzhia, injuring one.

The strikes are part of an escalating Russian campaign targeting Ukrainian cities and infrastructure as the war nears its third year.

Ukraine and NATO reaffirm commitment to long and lasting peace

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha called for increased pressure on Russia to push it toward a peace agreement during a meeting with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte on Thursday.

Rutte emphasized that any ceasefire or peace deal must be durable. “I commend the American efforts to break the deadlock — that’s important,” he said. “But we must ensure any agreement is lasting.”

He underscored the global stakes of the conflict, stating that the war is not just a regional dispute but a “global conflict,” with Russia backed by allies like China, North Korea, and Iran.

Rutte warned that the outcome will have far-reaching consequences, especially for global security and stability in regions such as the Indo-Pacific.

EU announces new strategic partnership with Central Asia at Samarkand summit

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, already in Samarkand, called the summit a launchpad for a “new Strategic Partnership,” stressing its importance in today’s global context.

Key priorities include an EU investment package focused on transport, natural resources, energy, and digital infrastructure. Green energy, mining, and mineral processing will also feature prominently. The EU will highlight its €300 billion Global Gateway project, which includes developing the Trans-Caspian Corridor to cut EU-Central Asia transport time to 15 days.

Security issues, including terrorism and migration, are also on the agenda.

Uzbek President Mirziyoyev noted EU-Central Asia trade has quadrupled in seven years, now reaching €54 billion. The EU accounts for over 40% of the region’s foreign investments

Pentagon watchdog to review Hegseth's use of Signal to convey Yemen strike plans

The Pentagon’s acting inspector general has launched a review into Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s use of the encrypted messaging app Signal to discuss plans for a military strike on Houthi militants in Yemen.

The investigation will also examine the use of the app by other defense officials. Signal, while secure, is not authorized for classified communication and falls outside the Defense Department’s secure networks.

The issue surfaced after journalist Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic was accidentally added to a Signal group chat by national security adviser Mike Waltz. The chat included high-ranking officials such as Hegseth, Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, and others, who were discussing military operations planned for March 15 against Iran-backed Houthi forces.

Jean-Claude Van Damme accused of involvement with victims of human trafficking

The Romanian Directorate for Investigating Organized Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT) has reportedly filed a criminal complaint against Belgian actor Jean-Claude Van Damme.

According to CNN affiliate Antena 3, the 64-year-old actor—known for films like Kickboxer, Double Impact, and Street Fighter—is accused of knowingly engaging with women who were victims of human trafficking.

Van Damme allegedly met with individuals already under investigation for trafficking-related crimes, who arranged private encounters with five Romanian models as a “gift.” One of those individuals is said to be Romanian businessman and modeling agency owner Morel Bolea.

The incident reportedly took place in Cannes, though no specific timeframe has been confirmed.

Tags

Comments (0)

What is your opinion on this topic?

Leave the first comment