U.S. imposed sanctions against two ICC court officials
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior tri...
In a brief ruling on Wednesday, the U.S. Supreme Court denied the Trump administration’s request to block a lower court’s order requiring the payment of nearly $2 billion in frozen USAID funds.
The decision, which effectively prevents the administration from further delaying payments to international aid groups and contractors for completed projects, marks a significant rebuke of the executive branch’s recent policies on foreign spending.
The case originated after President Donald Trump froze approximately $1.9 billion in USAID payments, prompting aid groups to seek judicial relief. In its one-paragraph opinion, the Supreme Court noted that the February 26 deadline imposed by U.S. District Judge Amir Ali had already passed. The Court directed the district court to provide new instructions, stating, “Given that the deadline in the challenged order has now passed, and in light of the ongoing preliminary injunction proceedings, the District Court should clarify what obligations the Government must fulfill to ensure compliance with the temporary restraining order, with due regard for the feasibility of any compliance timelines.”
Chief Justice John Roberts had earlier agreed to pause Judge Ali’s order—which had required the Trump administration to pay all outstanding invoices by 11:59 p.m.—after the Justice Department argued that the deadline was “impossible” to meet. Although Roberts did not elaborate on his decision to pause the lower court’s order, his action prevented foreign aid groups from immediately pursuing a motion of civil contempt against the administration—a legal strategy that could have accelerated the recovery of the unpaid funds.
Acting U.S. Solicitor General Sarah Harris argued in a court filing that while the aid groups’ claims were likely legitimate, the timeline imposed by the district court was neither logistically nor technically feasible. She further contended that enforcing such a deadline without consideration for the complexities of the payment system intruded upon the executive branch’s constitutionally granted foreign affairs powers.
The plaintiffs countered that the Trump administration had made no progress toward meeting the February 26 deadline, emphasizing that all outstanding invoices had been approved by USAID’s front-line managers well before the deadline passed. They accused the administration of dismantling critical payment systems and purging essential USAID staff, actions that they say have created significant bottlenecks in the process.
This legal battle unfolds against the backdrop of President Trump’s broader plan to cut foreign aid, which includes proposals to slash USAID contracts by up to 90% and eliminate an additional $60 billion in foreign spending. Critics warn that such drastic measures risk undermining U.S. influence abroad and could lead to economic and security repercussions, as diminished U.S. support may open the door for increased corruption and create opportunities for geopolitical rivals.
As the Supreme Court’s decision awaits further instructions from the district court, international aid groups and contractors continue to monitor developments closely, hopeful that a revised timeline will facilitate the long-delayed payments.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment