Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Washington/Beijing, February 19, 2025 – The United States is reportedly preparing to reduce the size of its diplomatic mission in China by as much as 10%, according to the South China Morning Post.
The move, which could affect American diplomats stationed in mainland China and Hong Kong—as well as local employees—is said to be unprecedented, with affected staff expected to receive notice as early as Friday.
The proposed downsizing would impact the U.S. Embassy in Beijing along with consulates in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Shenyang, and Wuhan, as well as the consulate in Hong Kong. While it remains unclear whether those laid off might be reassigned to other diplomatic posts, the reports indicate that layoffs are a likely outcome.
Two sources familiar with the situation told Reuters that the leadership of the mission in China had sent a message to embassy staff refuting the SCMP report. Embassy spokespeople did not immediately respond to requests for comment, and the U.S. State Department also declined to comment on the matter.
This potential cut is part of a broader effort under President Donald Trump’s administration to overhaul the U.S. diplomatic corps. Last week, similar staff reductions were reportedly requested at U.S. embassies worldwide as the administration seeks to trim spending deemed wasteful by Trump and his ally, billionaire Elon Musk.
The U.S. diplomatic mission in China is one of the largest in the world, with more than 1,300 American and locally hired staff representing nearly 50 federal agencies operating out of a 10-acre complex in Beijing. Any significant reduction in this workforce could have far-reaching implications for U.S.-China relations and the ability of the embassy to manage its extensive portfolio in the region.
The decision, if implemented, underscores the Trump administration's continuing efforts to streamline U.S. government operations amid ongoing budgetary and strategic challenges.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment