Colombia's president says early quake losses estimated at $9.6 billion
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia ...
NASA has swapped the capsule for its upcoming Crew-10 mission, using a previously flown SpaceX Crew Dragon instead of a delayed new one. The move brings forward the launch date to March 12, allowing an earlier return for two astronauts stranded aboard the ISS.
NASA announced on Tuesday that it will use Endeavor, a veteran Crew Dragon capsule, for its Crew-10 mission instead of a new capsule delayed in production. The change accelerates the launch by nearly two weeks, from March 25 to March 12, pending a flight readiness review.
The decision is tied to the return of Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams, who have been on the ISS far longer than expected after flying there on Boeing’s troubled Starliner capsule last summer. Their return hinges on Crew-10’s arrival to maintain normal staffing levels.
The move follows President Donald Trump’s demand last month that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk bring Wilmore and Williams home "as soon as possible." Trump blamed his predecessor Joe Biden for the situation, though Biden had no involvement. Musk, publicly siding with Trump, echoed the blame despite SpaceX’s direct involvement in NASA’s commercial spaceflight efforts.
NASA has denied political influence over its decision, stating that "human spaceflight is full of unexpected challenges", and praised SpaceX’s flexibility in adjusting its schedule.
š IMPACTS ON PRIVATE SPACE MISSIONS
The Crew-10 change affects other SpaceX missions, particularly the private Fram2 astronaut mission, which had planned to use the Endeavor capsule for a polar orbit mission. Mission commander Chun Wang, a Maltese crypto entrepreneur, reacted with disappointment, writing on X: "We've lost the South Pole in the daylight" š¢. The mission will now rely on another Crew Dragon in SpaceX’s fleet.
The shift also disrupts Axiom’s upcoming mission, set to fly government astronauts from India, Poland, and Hungary aboard a Crew Dragon. Houston-based Axiom Space has yet to comment on the impact.
š STARLINER: NASA’S TROUBLED PARTNER
SpaceX developed Crew Dragon under NASA’s Commercial Crew Program with nearly $3 billion in funding to make spaceflight more commercially viable. However, Boeing’s Starliner, part of the same program, has faced repeated engineering challenges.
Starliner returned to Earth in September—without Wilmore and Williams—further highlighting its technical issues. NASA has not yet confirmed when the capsule will be deemed fit for future crewed missions.
With SpaceX stepping in again, the Crew-10 mission is now set for March 12, bringing the stranded astronauts one step closer to Earth. š
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
A wildfire in Croatia driven by strong winds descended on the tourist town of Omis overnight, engulfing houses, forcing about 1,000 people to evacuate to safety and injuring dozens, fire brigade and health officials said on Friday.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Residents of villages in eastern Indonesia hit by a deadly earthquake that killed at least 54 people were awaiting aid on Monday as rescuers prepared to comb through collapsed buildings in search of people trapped beneath the rubble.
The economic losses from a powerful earthquake that struck Colombia last week are expected to reach 30 trillion pesos ($9.58 billion), Colombia's President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Monday.
Taiwan is preparing to spend more money on its military than ever before, with President Lai Ching-te announcing plans for a record defence budget of $31.4 billion for 2027, taking military spending above three per cent of GDP for the first time.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
Central Asia has become a major focus for Eurasian transport investment, with $71.7 billion committed to 114 projects, according to the Eurasian Development Bank’s 2026 Transport Observatory.
The European Union is preparing what foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas has described as its most far-reaching sanctions package against Russia since the war in Ukraine began.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment