live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Elon Musk's X accused Australia of trying to give its internet regulator unfair information-gathering powers and undermining U.S. law with plans for tougher enforcement of a teen social media ban.
Australia’s world-first law barring social media accounts for users under 16 took effect last December, drawing criticism from social media companies, most of them based in the United States.
The dispute involving X, whose parent company is Elon Musk’s SpaceX, has added a geopolitical dimension to the debate.
X told an Australian Senate committee that the proposed changes did not give "due regard to procedural fairness, privacy, the broader impacts on online services, and Australia's digital economy."
In its submission published on Tuesday, the platform criticised plans to expand the eSafety Commissioner’s document discovery powers and double the maximum fine to A$99 million ($69 million).
A U.S. congressional committee has already asked Australia’s eSafety Commissioner to testify, accusing the regulator of threatening American free speech.
Musk previously called the Australian social media ban a "backdoor way to control access to the internet by all Australians" in a post on X.
Data published by eSafety and studies conducted since the ban came into force indicate that many Australian teenagers under 16 continue to have social media accounts.
The regulator said it is preparing potential enforcement action against five platforms but is being hindered by limited powers. It argued that its inability to compel documents from platforms and third-party age assurance providers creates significant barriers to investigations.
Industry group DIGI, which represents several platforms, said eSafety already had broad enforcement powers that had not been fully tested and called for greater clarity over document requests.
Google’s YouTube and TikTok said in separate submissions that there was no known foolproof method to identify and block underage users.
Australia’s parliament has not yet passed the bill expanding enforcement powers. The Senate committee is expected to deliver its findings on 25 August after holding hearings.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
The U.S. imposed sanctions on the International Criminal Court's (ICC) President Tomoko Akane and a senior trial lawyer at the court Abdoulaye Seye on Tuesday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said.
Ukraine's parliament has approved Yevhenii Khmara as the country's new defence minister, cementing a key leadership change as Kyiv navigates wartime priorities and a broader government reorganisation.
Thai schools conducted active shooter drills on Wednesday (19 August), as authorities moved to strengthen security measures two weeks after a 14-year-old opened fire at a school and killed at least eight people.
Apple has announced a major overhaul of its business terms for apps distributed in the European Union, introducing a five per cent commission on digital transactions outside its App Store and simplifying its fee structure as it seeks to comply with the bloc’s Digital Markets Act (DMA).
A record number of humanitarian workers were killed, injured or kidnapped in 2025, with the growing use of armed drones contributing to mounting risks in conflict zones, the United Nations said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment