Ukraine imposes new sanctions targeting Russian maritime and defence supply chains
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals co...
Local prosecutors have confirmed the discovery of at least 56 bodies in unmarked mass graves near the US-Mexico border in Chihuahua state, a region plagued by cartel violence and drug trafficking.
At least 56 bodies have been found in unmarked mass graves in northern Mexico, near the U.S. border, according to a statement from local prosecutors on Saturday, as reported by CBS News.
The remains, which included full bodies, complete skeletons, partial remains, clothing, and bullet casings, were exhumed earlier this week in Chihuahua state. This area is a known route for drug and migrant trafficking to the U.S. The exhumation, supported by military personnel, lasted several days.
Prosecutors have not yet provided details on the identities of the victims.
The remains have been sent to a forensic lab to determine the cause and time of death, with efforts underway to identify the individuals.
The bodies were uncovered in an area called "El Willy," which is controlled by La Linea, a criminal organization affiliated with the Juárez cartel operating along the border, according to local media.
Mass graves are unfortunately common in Mexico, especially in areas affected by cartel violence. Over 345,000 people are currently missing in the country, as per Mexico’s national registry.
In addition, last month, Mexican authorities discovered 12 bodies in clandestine graves in Chihuahua state, and another 12 in several graves about two hours from Ciudad Juárez, which lies across from El Paso, Texas.
Since Mexico’s government launched a major offensive against drug cartels in 2006, more than 450,000 people have been killed nationwide.
One of the largest mass graves was reported in 2017, when over 250 skulls were found in what appeared to be a cartel burial ground on the outskirts of Veracruz.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
Ukraine’s National Paralympic Committee has announced it will boycott the opening ceremony of the Milano Cortina 2026 Paralympics in Verona on 6 March, citing the International Paralympic Committee’s decision to allow some Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags.
Eric Dane, the actor best known for his roles in 'Grey’s Anatomy' and 'Euphoria', died on Thursday, at the age of 53 after a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). His family confirmed his death after what they described as a “courageous battle” with ALS.
An Austrian climber has been convicted of gross negligent manslaughter after his girlfriend died from hypothermia while climbing Austria’s highest peak, the Grossglockner, in January 2025.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved new sanctions targeting Russian maritime operators, defence-linked companies and individuals connected to Moscow’s military and energy sectors, according to official decrees issued on Saturday.
Divers have recovered the bodies of seven Chinese tourists and a Russian driver after their minibus broke through the ice of Lake Baikal in Russia, authorities said.
A technical fault in the helium system of NASA’s next-generation moon rocket was announced on Saturday, ruling out the planned March launch window for the Artemis II mission.
President Donald Trump said on Saturday (21 February) that he will raise temporary tariffs on nearly all U.S. imports from 10% to 15%, the maximum allowed under the law, after the Supreme Court struck down his previous tariff program.
Germany's ruling conservatives on Saturday (21 February) passed a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment