Taiwan stages defence drills as China ends naval exercises with Indonesia
Taiwan staged military defence drills on Wednesday as China concluded joint naval exercises with Indonesia in waters east of the island....
Firefighters in Spain's southeastern province of Almería have begun efforts to contain one of the country's deadliest wildfires in recent years. The blaze killed at least 12 people and forced more communities to evacuate from their homes.
Emergency officials said crews shifted from defensive operations to actively attacking the fire on Saturday (11 July), although the wildfire continues to burn across rugged terrain near the municipality of Bédar.
More than 1,400 people have been evacuated to safety as a precaution, while more than 500 firefighters, emergency personnel and military units remain deployed to combat the blaze.
Autopsies have been completed on the 12 people who died in the fire, but authorities said the victims have not yet been formally identified.
According to the Institute of Forensic Medicine in Almería, DNA samples have been sent to Madrid for analysis and comparison with samples provided by relatives.
Officials believe most of the victims are British and Belgian nationals, along with one Spanish citizen.
Eight people were injured in the wildfire, four of them seriously, and remain in hospital in Seville.
Authorities said seven people have been officially reported missing, significantly fewer than the initial informal estimates.
Antonio Sanz, Andalusia's head of emergency services, described the wildfire as "complex" but said crews had successfully prevented it from crossing a major highway towards more densely populated coastal areas.
"So far we have been engaged in defence work, to prevent advances," Sanz said.
"Today is the first day we will be able to work on attacking the fire."
Emergency services said the western flank of the blaze remains the most active, with approximately 6,600 hectares already destroyed.
Witnesses said the wildfire spread with extraordinary speed, advancing as much as 15 kilometres in two hours, fuelled by strong winds and dry conditions.
Parish priest Víctor Manuel Fernández recalled watching smoke rise in the distance before the situation escalated dramatically.
"I figured they would put it out because our firefighters always react very rapidly," he said.
"But when we came out of the Mass there was a cloud of black smoke and looking up at the mountains, the flames were devouring everything. It was a matter of minutes."
The wildfire is among several major fires to hit southern Europe this summer, as prolonged heat and drought continue to heighten wildfire risks across the Mediterranean region.
Disruption in the Strait of Hormuz has increased the strategic importance of Bab al-Mandab, raising fears that instability in both waterways could trigger a wider global energy and trade crisis.
Iran and the United States remain at loggerheads over efforts to agree a permanent end to the war in the Gulf, according to a senior Iranian source who said there had been no progress in talks to revive the interim deal agreed in June and define a timeframe to implement it.
U.S. President Donald Trump has called for Iran to pay compensation for decades of deaths and damage, adding a new demand to peace talks as Tehran seeks compensation and sanctions relief before reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
A criminal court in Damascus has sentenced former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to death in absentia for premeditated murder, torture, arbitrary detention and crimes against humanity, according to Syria’s state news agency SANA.
Millions of people across Spain and Iceland are preparing on Wednesday to witness a rare total solar eclipse, when the moon will pass directly between Earth and the Sun, briefly turning daylight into darkness along a narrow path.
Taiwan staged military defence drills on Wednesday as China concluded joint naval exercises with Indonesia in waters east of the island.
Washington’s counter-narcotics push is expanding as Colombia’s new conservative government backs deeper security cooperation.
Meta said it had removed more than 750,000 Facebook and Instagram accounts suspected of belonging to Australians under 16, as the country’s internet regulator weighs enforcement action over its teen social media ban.
Russia has accused Ukraine of threatening global grain supplies after recent strikes on Black Sea agricultural infrastructure, while Moscow carried out a new overnight attack on Ukraine’s major Danube port of Izmail.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has used Pacific Fleet drills to criticise Japan, NATO and possible Western moves against Russian commercial ships. He made the comments during his first visit to Iturup, a Japan-claimed island at the end of the Kuril chain near the island of Hokkaido.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment