Uzbekistan faces $1.5 billion hit if Middle East tensions disrupt Iran trade route
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure...
The United States’s World Cup dreams were dashed on Monday evening as the co-hosts received a 4-1 drubbing from Belgium in front of supporters in Seattle.
Belgian forward, 25-year-old Charles De Ketelaere, scored twice against the U.S., giving Belgium the lead in the ninth minute with a simple tap-in.
U.S. midfielder Malik Tillman equalised in the 31st minute with a deflected free kick which wrong-footed Thibaut Courtois, but De Ketelaere restored Belgium's lead little more than a minute later with a back-post header.
The U.S. played with more authority after the break until a calamitous error from goalkeeper Matt Freese allowed substitute Hans Vanaken to score in the 57th minute.
Romelu Lukaku then added a fourth in added time to send U.S. fans streaming for the exits and Belgium into the quarter-finals for the third time in the last four World Cups. They will play European champions Spain in Los Angeles on Friday.
U.S. Coach Mauricio Pochettino said the side failed to “connect,” with the game.
"Even when we scored the goal, 1-1, we conceded in the next action,” he said.
U.S. midfielder Tyler Adams said the defeat was disappointing.
"In the moments that we were doing well [in the tournament], we felt amazing. And then obviously, an opportunity like today, we didn't grasp it – and it's gonna sting,” he said.
The U.S. defeat means all three co-hosts are out of the tournament, after Canada and Mexico also lost their last-16 games.
The build-up to the game was dominated by FIFA’s decision to suspend U.S. striker Folarin Balogun’s one match ban, after the intervention of American President Donald Trump.
Balogun received a straight red card after he stepped on the leg of a defender during the U.S. team’s win over Bosnia and Herzegovina on 1 July.
Trump described the decision to suspend the ban by a year as “brilliant.” But the decision was condemned by European football body UEFA, which said FIFA had “crossed a red line.”
Due to FIFA’s decision, Balogun started against Belgium but he struggled to make any impact.
Speaking after the match, Belgian midfielder Nicolas Taskin said the decision to allow Balogun to play wasn’t “fair,” but added that the result of the match showed there was “justice,” in life.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment