live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
United States striker Folarin Balogun will be eligible to face Belgium in the World Cup round of 16 after FIFA suspended the implementation of his one-match ban following an intervention by U.S. President Donald Trump, according to a Reuters report.
The European Commission called for “fair play and transparent competition” in sport after the suspension of Folarin Balogun was overturned following a phone call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Gianni Infantino.
The Commission did not directly accuse either side of wrongdoing but stressed the importance of independent decision-making and transparency in sporting governance.
Balogun had been expected to miss the knockout match after receiving a red card in the United States' 2-0 victory over Bosnia. The Arsenal forward was sent off following a VAR review after a challenge on Bosnia defender Tarik Muharemovic.
However, a source briefed on the matter told Reuters that Trump personally called FIFA President Gianni Infantino and asked the world football governing body to review the decision.
Shortly afterwards, FIFA announced that while the red card would stand, the automatic suspension would be suspended, allowing Balogun to play against Belgium.
In a statement, FIFA said the suspension had been halted under Article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code.
"In line with article 27 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the implementation of the match suspension is suspended for a probationary period of one year," FIFA said.
The governing body added that if Balogun commits another offence of a similar nature and seriousness during that period, the suspension could be reinstated in addition to any new disciplinary measures.
The decision effectively removes the immediate punishment while preserving the original red card.
Trump welcomed the outcome in a post on Truth Social.
"Thank you to FIFA for doing what was right, and reversing a great injustice," the president wrote.
The incident is likely to raise questions about political influence in football governance, given the unusual circumstances surrounding the reversal of an automatic World Cup suspension.
The Royal Belgian Football Association reacted sharply to the decision, saying it was "astonished" that Balogun had been declared eligible for the match.
Belgian officials argued that FIFA regulations clearly state that a player sent off with a red card is automatically suspended for the team's next match.
The federation cited provisions in both FIFA's disciplinary code and World Cup regulations and said it was examining all available options in response to the ruling.
Members of the U.S. squad said they learned of Balogun's reinstatement through social media while travelling to training.
"We found out about it just coming over here," forward Christian Pulisic told reporters.
"At first, you're like, 'Oh really, is this real?' And then 'Oh, this is great news'."
Balogun has emerged as one of the United States' most important players at the tournament, scoring three goals, including one in the win over Bosnia.
His availability provides a significant boost for coach Mauricio Pochettino's side ahead of their last-16 meeting with Belgium.
While FIFA insisted the red card remains in force, the decision to suspend the ban following Trump's reported appeal marks one of the most unusual disciplinary interventions of the 2026 World Cup and is likely to attract scrutiny from both supporters and rival teams.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment