Moscow fuel queues add to pressure on Russia’s rouble
Fuel restrictions have returned to parts of Moscow and the surrounding region, adding another strain to Russia&...
Morocco captain and PSG defender Achraf Hakimi will face trial in France after an appeals court ruled there was enough evidence for the case to proceed.
The decision, issued by a court in Versailles, France, marks the latest development in a legal case that has followed the Paris Saint-Germain defender since 2023.
Hakimi, 27, has consistently denied the allegation and says he is determined to clear his name in court.
The case stems from a complaint made by a 24-year-old woman, who accused the footballer of raping her in February 2023. Hakimi was formally charged the following month and placed under judicial supervision.
French investigators have spent more than two years examining the evidence before the appeals court concluded there were sufficient grounds for a trial.
No trial date has been announced yet.
Responding to the ruling, Hakimi said he welcomed the opportunity to finally tell his side of the story.
“Justice looked me in the eyes and said to me: ‘If you weren't famous, there never would have been a case,’” he wrote on social media.
Hakimi said he had deliberately remained silent throughout much of the legal process because he believed the justice system would reach the right conclusion.
“I've been waiting for this trial since day one. And now I'm looking forward to it. Finally, I will be able to speak,” he said.
Hakimi also spoke of the impact the case has had on his personal life, saying a narrative that was not his own had been built “at the expense of my family, my life, and above all, the truth”.
The lawyer representing the woman who made the complaint said the court's decision reflected the evidence gathered during the investigation.
“The investigating chamber has ruled that there is sufficient evidence against Achraf Hakimi for committing rape,” lawyer Rachel-Flore Pardo said.
She described the ruling as consistent with the findings of prosecutors and investigating magistrates who worked on the case.
Pardo also expressed hope that the trial would encourage other people affected by sexual violence to come forward and challenge what she called a culture of denial and impunity.
The legal proceedings continue as Hakimi remains a key figure for Morocco at the 2026 World Cup. He has played every minute of his country’s opening two matches, including Friday’s 1-0 victory over Scotland.
Morocco will conclude their Group C campaign against Haiti next week as the case awaits further legal steps.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.
Russian ballistic missile strikes on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least sixteen people and injured more than forty others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment