live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
Tunisia have appointed Hervé Renard as head coach after dismissing Sabri Lamouchi following the team's 5-1 defeat to Sweden.
The Tunisian Football Federation (FTF) announced the decision on Tuesday (16 June), just two days after Tunisia suffered a 5-1 loss to Sweden in Monterrey, Mexico.
Lamouchi becomes the first manager to lose his job during the tournament. He had only taken charge of the national team in January, signing a contract that was due to run until 2028.
The former coach leaves after overseeing just five matches. Tunisia managed only one victory during that period, a 1-0 win over Haiti in March.
Results worsened in the build-up to the World Cup. Tunisia lost 1-0 to Austria before being beaten 5-0 by Belgium in a warm-up fixture. The disappointing run continued with Sunday's heavy defeat against Sweden.
Despite the change in management, Tunisia still have two group-stage matches remaining, against Japan on Saturday (18 June) and the Netherlands on 25 June.
In a statement posted on social media, the FTF confirmed that Renard would lead the team for the remainder of the World Cup.
"The agreement also stipulates that negotiations will be opened after the World Cup campaign to consider a long-term partnership based on specific sporting objectives," the federation said.
According to state broadcaster Télévision Tunisienne, Renard was expected to arrive in Monterrey later on Tuesday to join the squad.
Renard is one of the most recognised coaches in international football. He won the Africa Cup of Nations twice and gained worldwide attention at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar when he guided Saudi Arabia to a shock victory over eventual champions Argentina in the group stage.
He later left Saudi Arabia to take charge of the French women's national team for the 2023 Women's World Cup and the Paris Olympics.
Renard then returned to Saudi Arabia and helped the men's team secure qualification for a third consecutive World Cup appearance.
However, he was replaced by Georgios Donis shortly before the tournament began.
Now, Renard faces the challenge of reviving Tunisia's campaign and helping the North African side recover from a difficult start to the competition.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment