Morning Brief - 20 August 2026
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments. ...
A Ukrainian man has been found guilty of carrying out a series of arson attacks on properties linked to British Prime Minister Keir Starmer after being recruited by a mystery figure known only as "EL Money".
Roman Lavrynovych, 22, was convicted at London's Old Bailey on Monday of two counts of arson while being reckless as to whether life was endangered. He was acquitted of two counts of arson with intent to endanger life.
The case relates to three separate incidents over five days in May last year. Fires were reported at a house in north London linked to Starmer, a nearby property where he had previously lived, and a Toyota vehicle that had once belonged to the prime minister.
Lavrynovych and 27-year-old Stanislav Carpiuc, a Romanian national born in Ukraine, were also found guilty of conspiracy to commit arson. A third defendant, Ukrainian national Petro Pochynok, 35, was acquitted of the same charge.
All three men are due to be sentenced on Friday.
Jurors heard that Lavrynovych had been offered money to carry out the attacks through a Telegram account operating under the name "EL Money".
According to prosecutors, the account communicated with him in both Russian and Ukrainian.
The identity of the person or organisation behind the account was not disclosed during the trial.
"It is no part of your considerations to decide who 'EL Money' is and what reason he might have had to co-ordinate the actions of these defendants against these properties and this car associated with the prime minister," prosecutor Duncan Atkinson told jurors.
The attacks prompted an investigation led by counter-terrorism police because of their connection to the prime minister.
However, authorities said there was no evidence linking Russia to the incidents.
Helen Flanagan, head of Counter Terrorism Policing London, said investigators had found no evidence that Russia was behind the attacks.
The verdict brings to a close one of the most high-profile criminal cases involving properties associated with a serving British prime minister in recent years.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
A Russian ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv has killed at least eight people and injured more than two dozen others, Ukrainian officials said, with fires reported across the city and Poland activating defensive air operations.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 20th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Britain has summoned Israel’s chargé d’affaires and demanded that the Israeli government withdraw a tender for construction in the controversial E1 settlement area in the West Bank.
The death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Colombia has risen to at least 314, while 262 people remain missing, President Abelardo De La Espriella said on Wednesday.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment