Russia launches overnight strikes across Ukraine, killing one and injuring more than 30

Russia launches overnight strikes across Ukraine, killing one and injuring more than 30
A destroyed car and damaged buildings at the site of a Russian drone strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine on 18 May, 2026, Reuters
Reuters

Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).

In Odesa, drones struck residential buildings, as well as a school and a kindergarten, in the major Black Sea export port, said Serhiy Lysak, head of the regional military administration, via Telegram. He added that an 11-year-old boy and a 59-year-old man were among the injured.

Separately, missiles hit the south-eastern city of Dnipro, injuring 18 people, including two children - a two-year-old girl and a 10-year-old boy - according to regional governor Oleksandr Hanzha.

Casualties reported in Zaporizhzhia and Kherson

In the south-eastern Zaporizhzhia region, three more people were wounded in the overnight attacks, governor Ivan Fedorov said. In Kherson, authorities reported one fatality and nine injuries.

On the Russian side, the Interfax news agency reported, citing the defence ministry, that drones had been intercepted overnight over regions including Rostov and Belgorod in southern Russia.

Over the weekend, at least four people were killed, three of them in the Moscow region, following what officials described as Ukraine’s largest drone attack on the Russian capital in more than a year.

Tags