live WUF13 opening ceremony held in Baku as global forum advances sustainable urban development
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the of...
U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that a new phase of attacks against alleged drug traffickers will target land-based sites and “anybody” involved in the illicit trade.
“We’re going to start doing those strikes on land… we know the routes they take, we know everything about them, we know where they live, we know where the bad ones live, and we’re going to start that very soon too,” Trump told reporters during a Cabinet meeting at the White House on Tuesday.
"Anybody that's doing that and selling it into our country is subject to attack," Trump added after raising the issue of cocaine from Colombia.
"I hear the country of Colombia is making cocaine, they have cocaine manufacturing plants, and then they sell us their cocaine," Trump said.
Colombian President Gustavo Petro shot back at Trump in a post on X, arguing the South American nation destroys a drug-producing laboratory every 40 minutes - "without missiles."
Petro, who has been personally sanctioned by the Trump administration, invited Trump to participate in the nation's anti-drug offensive, but with a warning.
"Do not threaten our sovereignty, or you will awake the Jaguar," Petro said. "Attacking our sovereignty is declaring war."
He added, “Anybody that’s doing that and selling it into our country is subject to attack.”
When asked if the strikes would be limited to Venezuela, Trump replied, “No, not just Venezuela,” while noting that the country has been the focus of his repeated threats.
So far, U.S. strikes have been limited to sea-based targets, including boats and submarines linked to alleged “narcoterrorism.”
Trump’s announcement comes as he increases U.S. military presence in the Pacific amid tensions with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, whom he has urged to relinquish power.
Bulgaria has won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time, taking victory in a final overshadowed by a boycott over Israel’s participation and the war in Gaza.
At least eight people were injured after a driver rammed a car into pedestrians in the northern Italian city of Modena, authorities said on Saturday. Four of the victims were reported to be in serious condition.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
Jeffrey D. Sachs, an economist, public policy analyst, Columbia University professor, and UN advisor, said Azerbaijan and the wider South Caucasus could become one of the world’s key strategic connectors in an emerging multipolar order.
U.S. President Donald Trump says China's Xi Jinping agreed Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz, as Tehran prepares a new shipping mechanism. Tensions over the U.S. blockade and stalled nuclear talks continue to disrupt global oil supplies.
Israeli military strikes across Gaza killed at least eight Palestinians on Sunday, according to local health officials, as the Israel Defense Forces intensified operations targeting Hamas commanders and infrastructure across the enclave.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Russia carried out overnight drone strikes, air raids and shelling across Ukraine, hitting cities including Odesa and Dnipro, killing one person and injuring more than 30, according to Ukrainian officials on Monday (18 May).
Iran and Pakistan reviewed bilateral ties and the latest developments in the stalled Iran-U.S. peace negotiations mediated by Islamabad, as Tehran and Washington continue to refuse tangible concessions amid a fragile ceasefire and escalating verbal threats.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment