South Africa rejects G20 exclusion
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday dismissed U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat to exclude Pretoria from next year’s G20 summit, ...
Thousands of people took to the streets on Sunday to pay tribute to the victims of Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in over 75 years, as Beijing warned it would crack down on any “anti-China” protests in the aftermath of the blaze.
The fire, which broke out at a high-rise residential complex, remains under investigation, amid public anger over missed warnings about fire risks and evidence of unsafe construction practices.
Police confirmed on Sunday that the death toll had risen to 146 following a sweep of five of the burnt-out towers, with some bodies found in stairwells and on rooftops where residents had attempted to escape. More than 40 people remain missing.
Mourners queued for over a kilometre along a canal near the Wang Fuk Court housing complex to lay white flowers for the dead, with many attaching notes addressed to the victims. Chrysanthemums, which symbolise grief in Chinese culture, were also placed at the site.
The smell of smoke lingered four days after the fast-moving fire consumed seven residential towers in the northern Tai Po district.
Joey Yeung, 28, whose grandmother’s apartment was destroyed in the blaze, said she had come with her family to mourn the victims and to express anger at those responsible. “I cannot accept it. Today, I came with my father and family to lay flowers. I am not asking for anything in return, but at least give some justice to the families of the deceased,” she said.
Among the dead were seven Indonesian domestic workers and one Filipino helper, with dozens of migrant workers still missing. Hundreds attended outdoor prayers in central Hong Kong for the city’s Filipino community.
On Saturday, police detained 24-year-old Miles Kwan, part of a group petitioning for an independent inquiry into possible corruption and construction oversight failures. Reuters could not immediately confirm whether he had been formally arrested.
The group’s online petition had gathered over 10,000 signatures by Saturday afternoon before being closed. A second petition launched by a Tai Po resident living abroad had more than 2,700 signatures by Sunday, calling on the government to provide “genuine, explicit accountability” to Hongkongers.
The fire, which ripped through seven towers near the border with mainland China, has shocked Hong Kong, prompting both criminal and corruption investigations.
China’s national security authorities warned that anyone attempting to exploit the disaster to stir unrest akin to the 2019 pro-democracy protests would face strict punishment. “We sternly warn the anti-China disruptors who attempt to ‘disrupt Hong Kong through disaster’. No matter what methods you use, you will be held accountable and strictly punished,” they said.
Authorities have arrested 11 people in connection with the blaze, investigating possible corruption and the use of unsafe materials during renovations. Rescue operations concluded on Friday, though officials say more bodies may be found as they comb through the hazardous, burnt-out buildings, a process that could take three to four weeks.
The fire began on Wednesday afternoon, rapidly engulfing seven of the eight 32-storey blocks, which were wrapped in green mesh and bamboo scaffolding and layered with foam insulation for renovation work.
Officials said fire alarms in the complex, home to over 4,600 residents, were not functioning properly.
This fire is the deadliest in Hong Kong since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse blaze. Last year, Wang Fuk Court residents were told the buildings posed “relatively low fire risks” despite raising concerns about the flammability of scaffolding mesh used during renovations, according to the city’s Labour Department. In September 2024, residents had formally reported these hazards
U.S. investigators have recovered the black box recorders from the wreckage of a UPS cargo plane that crashed in flames on takeoff in Louisville, Kentucky. At least twelve people died. The crash sent a wall of fire into an industrial corridor and forced the shutdown of the airport.
The global recall of Airbus A320 aircraft has triggered widespread disruption across several major airlines, forcing flight cancellations in the United States, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Friday that the group retains the right to respond to Israel’s killing of its top military commander, leaving open the possibility of a new conflict with the country.
Kazakhstan has called on Ukraine to stop striking the Black Sea terminal of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) after a major drone attack forced a halt to exports and caused serious damage to loading equipment.
Russia’s state communications watchdog said it is tightening restrictions on WhatsApp, claiming the US-owned platform violates Russian law and is being used to facilitate criminal activity, according to comments carried by the Tass news agency.
Authorities in Senegal have launched urgent measures to prevent a potential oil spill after water entered the engine room of the Panamanian-flagged oil tanker Mersin off the coast of Dakar.
Venezuela has accused the U.S. of attempting to seize the country’s vast oil reserves through military force, in a move the government says could destabilise the global energy market.
U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration have stepped up pressure on the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, issuing a series of stern warnings and hinting at possible military operations.
Israelis have expressed mixed reactions after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asked President Isaac Herzog for a pardon in his ongoing corruption trial before a verdict was reached, a move that many say undermines the rule of law and accountability.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday dismissed U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat to exclude Pretoria from next year’s G20 summit, calling the remarks “baseless” and reaffirming the country’s status as a founding member of the group.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment