Trump escalates pressure on Venezuela

Trump escalates pressure on Venezuela
Reuters

U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration have stepped up pressure on the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, issuing a series of stern warnings and hinting at possible military operations.

On Saturday (29 November), Trump declared that the airspace over and around Venezuela should be considered “closed in its entirety.” The announcement sparked concern and confusion in Caracas, as the administration provided no further details while continuing to increase pressure on Maduro’s government.

U.S. officials contacted by Reuters expressed surprise at Trump’s statement and said they were unaware of any ongoing military operations to enforce the closure of Venezuelan airspace.

The Venezuelan government condemned the comments, describing them as a “colonialist threat” against the country’s sovereignty and a violation of international law. Maduro, in power since 2013, accused Trump of seeking to remove him and asserted that Venezuelan citizens and the military would resist any such attempt.

Earlier this week, Trump told U.S. military personnel that the United States would “very soon” begin land operations to halt suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers.

Tags