Kazakhstan concludes first Kurultai election with turnout at 74.19%
Kazakhstan has concluded its first election to the new unicameral Kurultai, with turnout reaching 74.19 per cent, as vote counting begins following...
Thailand's government confirmed on Tuesday it will halt the implementation of an enhanced ceasefire agreement with Cambodia, signed last month in the presence of U.S. President Donald Trump and said it would explain its decision to Washington.
Bangkok will also put on hold the return of 18 Cambodian prisoners of war currently held by the Thai military, Defence Minister Natthaphon Narkphanit told reporters. He declined to answer a question on whether troops would be redeployed.
Tensions between the two Southeast Asian neighbours, who clashed for five days in July, have escalated following a landmine blast on Monday that injured four Thai soldiers.
Thailand's military has accused Cambodia of laying new landmines after the two countries agreed on the enhanced ceasefire steps, which included the withdrawal of troops and heavy weapons as well as Bangkok's release of the Cambodian detainees.
In a statement on Tuesday, Cambodia's defence ministry denied that it had laid new landmines and urged Thailand to avoid patrols in old minefield areas. It said it was committed to working with Bangkok in line with the October deal.
The enhanced ceasefire, signed during a regional summit in Malaysia, sought to build on a truce brokered in July by Trump, who called the then-leaders of the two countries urging them to end hostilities or face halts to their respective trade talks with Washington.
Both sides blame each other for starting the exchange of rockets and heavy artillery, which killed at least 48 people and temporarily displaced an estimated 300,000 during their worst fighting in recent history.
Thailand's Foreign Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow said his country's decision would be explained to the United States and to Malaysia, the chair of the regional bloc ASEAN, which has facilitated the ceasefire process.
"What they (Cambodia) have said is not sufficient. We have to see what Cambodia's stance is from now on," he said.
Iran on Saturday denounced U.S. plans to announce new sanctions that could put further strain on the Islamic Republic's economy and have an impact on its most important trading partners including China.
A large-scale drone attack has hit Russia's Samara region, damaging facilities and disrupting operations at an Ozon logistics complex, according to regional authorities and the company.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
U.S. President Donald Trump said Iran was not ready to make what he called the "right deal" with Washington as tensions persisted over the war and the Strait of Hormuz.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 22nd of August, covering the latest developments.
The Democratic Republic of Congo is set to receive 70,000 doses of the Ebola vaccine Ervebo as health authorities race to contain what has become the country's largest Ebola outbreak on record.
Kazakhstanis went to the polls on Sunday in a snap parliamentary election held under the country’s new constitutional system, which replaces the former two-chamber parliament with a single 145-seat legislature known as the Kurultai.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has rejected calls for a wartime election, arguing that holding a vote while Russia's full-scale invasion continues would divide the country and undermine national unity.
Syria expects negotiations with Israel over a security agreement to resume soon despite deep mistrust between the two sides, Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said in an interview with Reuters, urging Israel to seize an "historic opportunity" as the door for diplomacy is open.
India's Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the eastern coast on Sunday after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment