Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
The United States has expanded its crackdown on Chinese telecommunications companies, tightening restrictions on equipment deemed a threat to national security.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted unanimously on Tuesday (October 28) to strengthen its oversight of telecom devices containing components from companies listed on its “Covered List.” The new measures block approvals for such equipment and give the FCC authority to revoke existing authorisations in certain cases.
“These present loopholes that bad actors could use to threaten the security of our networks,” said FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr. “America’s foreign adversaries are constantly looking for ways to exploit any vulnerabilities in our system.”
The Covered List includes major Chinese firms such as Huawei, ZTE, China Mobile, and China Telecom, whose products are already barred from being imported or sold in the U.S. The move is part of a wider effort to prevent Chinese companies from gaining access to U.S. communications infrastructure.
Earlier this month, Carr said that major U.S. e-commerce platforms had removed several million listings for unauthorised Chinese electronics, including home security cameras, smart watches, and video surveillance systems made by Huawei, Hikvision, Dahua Technology, and ZTE.
Hikvision criticised the FCC’s latest order, calling it an overreach of regulatory power. “This order is not based on any product-specific evidence,” the company said in a statement. “It will impose unnecessary harm on U.S. communities and small businesses that rely on safe, compliant, and already authorised security systems.”
The FCC recently issued a national security advisory reminding businesses of the ongoing ban on certain surveillance and communications devices from Chinese manufacturers. On October 15, it announced plans to revoke the U.S. operating licence of HKT, a Hong Kong-based carrier owned by PCCW, citing security risks.
The regulator also said in March that it was investigating nine Chinese firms on the Covered List, including Huawei, ZTE, Hytera Communications, Dahua Technology, and China Unicom (Americas), over concerns about potential data vulnerabilities.
In a further escalation, the FCC last month began proceedings to withdraw recognition from seven testing laboratories owned or controlled by the Chinese government, again citing national security concerns.
The measures are part of Washington’s broader strategy to curb Beijing’s influence in critical technology sectors amid rising tensions over cybersecurity, data privacy, and global telecommunications infrastructure.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment