U.S.-Saudi nuclear pact faces criticism over weaker safeguards, lawmakers warn
A proposed nuclear cooperation agreement between the United States and Saudi Arabia is facing criticism from Democratic lawmakers and non-prolifera...
Denmark announced on Sunday that it was banning civilian drone flights after sightings of drones near several military facilities overnight, following a week in which drone activity forced the temporary closure of a number of Danish airports.
In a statement, the Danish military said it had deployed “several capacities” in response to the incidents but declined to provide further details. Earlier in the week, drone activity led to the closure of airports, including Copenhagen Airport, which was shut for almost four hours on Monday.
The Danish government has described the activity as part of a “hybrid attack”. While it has not formally attributed blame, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen has hinted at Russian involvement, calling Moscow the main “threat to European security”. The Kremlin has rejected the accusation.
The temporary ban will prevent all civilian drones from flying in Danish airspace between Monday and Friday, coinciding with Denmark’s hosting of European leaders during its tenure as holder of the EU’s rotating presidency.
“We are currently in a difficult security situation, and we must ensure the best possible working conditions for the armed forces and the police when they are responsible for security during the EU summit,” Defence Minister Troels Lund Poulsen said in a statement.
Denmark will host EU leaders on Wednesday, followed by a Thursday summit of the 47-member European Political Community, established after Russia’s 2022 invasion of Ukraine to bring together the EU and other allied European nations.
On Sunday, a German air defence frigate docked in Copenhagen to provide support with airspace monitoring during the high-profile gatherings.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
Azerbaijan and Georgia have agreed to resume daily passenger train services on the Baku-Tbilisi-Baku route from 26 May, 2026, marking a major step in restoring regional rail connectivity after services were suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
A proposed nuclear cooperation agreement between the United States and Saudi Arabia is facing criticism from Democratic lawmakers and non-proliferation experts, who say the deal lacks the strongest safeguards designed to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment