Uzbekistan faces $1.5 billion hit if Middle East tensions disrupt Iran trade route
Uzbekistan could lose up to $1.5 billion if escalating Middle East tensions disrupt vital trade and logistics routes through Iran, putting pressure...
The north and south towers of Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris reopened to the public on Saturday, six years after a devastating fire ravaged the cathedral on 15 April 2019, destroying the roof and spire and inflicting major damage.
French President Emmanuel Macron presided over the inauguration, allowing visitors to ascend the 424 steps to experience restored terrace views and the cathedral’s iconic gargoyles once more.
Visitors can start tours from the south tower, climbing into the belfry before emerging onto terraces that offer sweeping panoramic views of Paris. The route includes viewing the two main bells and then descending via the north tower.
Tickets cost €16 per person and must be bought online in advance. Capacity is strictly limited, only 19 people are allowed in at any one time.
The restoration effort has been massive, involving stabilisation of the structure, safety upgrades, cleaning of stonework, repair of damage from heat and smoke, and reconstruction of wood and roof elements. While this reopening marks a major milestone, further repair work remains, especially in the apse on the cathedral’s eastern end.
Restoration is estimated to have cost several hundred million euros, financed through donations and overseen by specialised heritage and restoration teams. The project also included improvements to visitor pathways and safety systems.
At least 11 people were killed in Israeli strikes on southern Lebanon on Saturday, among the deadliest since a June ceasefire. Meanwhile, Qatar denied holding Iranian pilots. It said it had found the remains of one pilot after an airspace violation and had contacted Iran to coordinate a handover.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
South Korea's presidential Blue House said on Monday it was reviewing U.S. President Donald Trump's comments on scaling back joint military drills. It added that it hoped a favourable relationship between Washington and Pyongyang could lead to meaningful talks.
Britain will continue to support Ukraine “100 per cent” against Russia’s invasion, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said on Tuesday, after Moscow warned London of consequences over reports that British-made drones had been used in strikes on Russian territory.
Russia has summoned Japan’s ambassador to Moscow and delivered a strong protest over what it called “anti-Russian” remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi concerning four disputed islands.
Pakistan is turning to more U.S. crude as disruption around the Strait of Hormuz exposes the risks of its heavy reliance on Gulf energy supplies.
U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Xavier Brunson visited South Korea's Defence Ministry on Tuesday to discuss plans to scale back the joint Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise, according to media reports.
European countries are stepping up investment in drones and counter-drone technology as unmanned systems reshape modern warfare, driving demand for new production and capabilities across the continent.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment