live U.S.-Iran standoff continues as Hormuz shipping and diplomacy remain uncertain
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to res...
Iran has called on the United Nations to “intervene and choose diplomacy” as the world body’s security organ is scheduled to convene on Friday to vote on lifting Tehran’s nuclear sanctions permanently under Resolution 2231 or otherwise re-impose them under the snapback mechanism.
"It is now high time for the UN Security Council to intervene and choose diplomacy over confrontation. The stakes could not be higher,” the Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in a post on his X account.
He said that during a joint telephone talk on Wednesday with EU foreign policy chief and foreign ministers of France, Germany and the UK (E3), he submitted a “practical and sensible proposal aimed at averting an unnecessary and avoidable crisis in the coming days”.
The European powers are signatories of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal (JCPOA) and have referred their dispute with Tehran to the Security Council demanding return of pre-2015 sanctions if they fail to reach an agreement with Iran by end of September.
"Instead of being met with engagement on the substance of this plan, Iran is now faced with a litany of excuses and outright deflection, including the farcical claim that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs does not represent the entire political establishment,” he added.
Araghchi said he was glad that French President Emmanuel Macron acknowledged the proposal he presented was reasonable, but stressed the world should also know that he has the full support of the entirety of Iran, including the country's Supreme National Security Council.
Asked in an interview with Israel's Channel 12 whether the return of UN nuclear sanctions was a done deal, Macron said, “I think so because the latest news from the Iranians is not serious."
Iran’s top diplomat replied criticizing the European sides of the JCPOA for their lack of independence and authority, and said, “The reality may be that the E3/EU diplomatic apparatus is, in fact, the one that is apparently out of commission,"
Araghchi stressed that Iran has played its role by introducing a “creative, fair, and balanced proposal” which addresses genuine concerns and is mutually beneficial, and by signing an agreement with the IAEA last week in Egypt which opens “a new chapter of cooperation” despite the unlawful bombing of its safeguarded nuclear facilities.
On the eve of the UN Security Council meeting on Iran in New York, Tehran withdrew its draft resolution at the ongoing annual IAEA General Conference in Vienna which called for banning the threats and attacks on the civilian nuclear sites under UN nuclear agency’s safeguards.
Iran’s envoy at International Organizations in Vienna Reza Najafi said it was because of the U.S. pressure on the IAEA member states and threats of cutting off its financial support to the agency if the draft resolution was passed.
The draft resolution was proposed after Iran’s major civilian nuclear facilities were bombed in the airstrikes by Israel and U.S. during the 12-day war in June.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
Five years after Evergrande's debt crisis rattled global markets, founder Hui Ka Yan has been sentenced to life in prison, marking a dramatic new chapter in the downfall of China's former property giant.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment