Georgia and Azerbaijan sign landmark energy and transport agreements in Baku
In a sweeping diplomatic push in Baku, Georgia and Azerbaijan have signed a landmark package of energy and transport agreements, cementing a partne...
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Monday visited a disputed archaeological site beneath Jerusalem, lending Washington’s support to a settler-led project that critics argue jeopardises prospects for a future Palestinian state.
The visit, closed to international and local media, was the latest show of backing by the Trump administration for initiatives seen by opponents as attempts to entrench Israel’s claims to East Jerusalem – territory Palestinians regard as the capital of their future state.
The City of David archaeological park lies just below the raised compound known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as Haram al-Sharif, or the Noble Sanctuary – one of the most sensitive flashpoints in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. UNESCO has opposed construction of the park in the Palestinian neighbourhood of Silwan, which lies outside what most of the world recognises as Israel’s borders.
Dispute over excavations
Before his trip, Rubio rejected claims that the site was political. He later posted photographs on X of himself inaugurating what he called the Pilgrimage Road, writing, “It’s a powerful reminder of the Judeo-Christian values that inspired America’s Founding Fathers.”
The excavated street is believed to have been used by worshippers heading to the Second Temple around the time of Jesus.
Washington’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital in 2017, and the subsequent relocation of the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv, broke with decades of U.S. policy that the city’s status should be resolved through negotiations.
The visit came ahead of a United Nations. gathering in New York, where Britain, France, Canada, Australia and Belgium are expected to formally recognise a Palestinian state – a move Rubio has warned will spur Israel to take steps to block Palestinian statehood.
Silwan residents and advocacy groups say the digs have been carried out beneath Palestinian homes without consultation and fail to meet accepted archaeological standards.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office did not comment.
Ze’ev Orenstein, Director of International Affairs at the City of David, insisted excavations were overseen by the Israel Antiquities Authority “to the highest standards”, but declined further questions.
Silwan activist Fakhri Abu Diab accused Israel of violating international law and said Rubio’s visit effectively endorsed settlement expansion, demolitions and “ethnic cleansing”.
Park run by settler organisation
The struggle over Jerusalem’s archaeological and religious sites reflects a deeper contest for sovereignty dating back to Israel’s founding in 1948. East Jerusalem and the Old City – with its Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Armenian quarters – were under Jordanian control after the Arab-Israeli war that year, with Jews barred from their holy places until Israel seized the territory in 1967.
Since then, Israel has pursued policies to preserve a Jewish majority in the city, while Palestinians face restrictions, home demolitions and what rights groups call systematic discrimination.
The City of David site has been managed since the early 2000s by Elad, a settler organisation accused of taking over land, acquiring Palestinian homes and pushing for the eviction of families in Silwan. A July report by the U.N. Commission of Inquiry said the park highlights only Jewish history – the Kingdom of Judea and the Second Temple period – while ignoring other cultures and eras.
Israel insists Jerusalem will always remain under its sovereignty, though it says it will guarantee access to holy places for all three Abrahamic faiths.
Israeli archaeologist Alon Arad, of the group Emek Shaveh, said the U.S. endorsement revealed close ties between America’s religious right and Jewish settlers. He pointed out that Trump’s first ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, attended a similar inauguration at the site in 2019.
Rubio’s visit began Sunday, when Netanyahu accompanied him and U.S. Ambassador Mike Huckabee to the Western Wall and nearby tunnels, another excavation criticised by the U.N.
A State Department spokesperson said the tour reaffirmed “America’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s eternal capital.”
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Germany will deploy a Patriot air-defence battery to Türkiye in the coming weeks as part of a NATO mission aimed at strengthening the alliance’s south-eastern flank, German officials have said.
Estonia said on Tuesday (19 May) that a NATO fighter jet shot down a suspected Ukrainian drone over its territory, in the latest reported airspace violation in the region amid ongoing Ukrainian strikes against Russia.
Sweden has agreed to buy four naval frigates from France’s Naval Group in a deal worth more than $4 billion, as Stockholm moves to strengthen its defence capabilities in the Baltic Sea, Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson said on Tuesday.
Spanish police said on Tuesday they had detained a 25-year-old man suspected of killing his two parents and injuring four other people, including his son, in a shooting in the southern city of El Ejido in Almeria province overnight.
European Union negotiators are expected to agree on Tuesday (19 May) on legislation removing import duties on U.S. industrial goods, in a move aimed at implementing last year’s trade agreement with the United States and avoiding higher tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment