live Hormuz traffic slows as uncertainty over waterway persists
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most s...
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that Washington stood firmly with the Philippines, rejecting what he called China’s “destabilising plans” for a disputed atoll in the South China Sea.
“Beijing’s claim that Scarborough Reef is a nature reserve is yet another coercive attempt to push sweeping territorial and maritime claims in the South China Sea at the expense of its neighbours,” Rubio said in a statement.
Filipino fishermen have voiced concern that Beijing’s plan could further restrict their access to the atoll, which remains closely monitored by Chinese vessels.
Scarborough Shoal falls within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone but has been under Beijing’s control since 2012. China asserts ownership over almost the entire South China Sea – a waterway that carries more than $3 trillion in annual trade – despite competing claims from the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, and Vietnam.
Rubio warned that China’s actions continued to erode regional stability, urging Beijing to respect the 2016 ruling by the Arbitral Tribunal which found it had unlawfully blocked Filipino fishermen from their traditional grounds at Scarborough Reef.
On Saturday, the Philippines announced it had carried out joint patrols with U.S. Indo-Pacific Command and Japan’s navy near islands in Zambales province, around 120 nautical miles from Scarborough Shoal.
China’s state-run Global Times reported on Friday that Manila had conducted a “joint patrol” in the South China Sea with unnamed countries outside the region.
U.S. President Donald Trump says Washington is not seeking an extension of its memorandum of understanding with Iran, claiming the U.S. already controls the Strait of Hormuz through its naval blockade.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Ukraine has targeted at least 20 Wildberries warehouses across Russia since 18 July, disrupting a major logistics network. Kyiv says the strikes aim to disrupt alleged military-linked supplies, while the attacks have caused billions of dollars in losses and wider economic pressure.
Russia said its air defences downed 180 drones over the Moscow region overnight, with 620 drones reportedly targeting the area, according to Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin.
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing growing pressure as his approval ratings fall and the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party gains support.
At least nine people were killed, including a child, in a fire at a hotel in India's eastern city of Kolkata on Wednesday, local police said.
France is set to expel two Iranian diplomats in response to what Paris has described as a “deliberate assault” on two French embassy staff in Tehran last month, escalating tensions between the two countries.
South Korea and the United States are scaling back their annual joint military exercises following an order from U.S. President Donald Trump to substantially reduce American participation.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
The United States is pushing to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism between Israel, Türkiye and Syria after Israeli airstrikes on a Syrian airbase raised concerns about the risk of a wider regional confrontation.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment