Australia condemns Israel over closure of Gaza aid worker case
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom ...
The United States announced new security commitments for Ecuador on Thursday during Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s visit, as Washington seeks to strengthen efforts against illegal immigration and drug cartels.
The measures include more than $13 million in general security funding for Ecuador, alongside $6 million to provide drones for the Ecuadorean Navy, Rubio said.
“This is just the beginning of what we can accomplish together,” Rubio added, noting that the U.S. would consider establishing a military base in Ecuador if the country invites it.
Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa has expressed support for such a base, but a referendum would be required for voter approval. The U.S. previously maintained a base in Manta, which was closed in 2009 under orders from Ecuador’s then-president.
Rubio also announced that two Ecuadorean criminal groups, Los Choneros and Los Lobos, have been designated as foreign terrorist organisations.
Jose Adolfo “Fito” Macias Villamar, reportedly the leader of Los Choneros, has been indicted on federal drug and gun charges in the United States, where he is currently in custody and has pleaded not guilty. Both gangs were first sanctioned by the U.S. in 2024.
The new designation will allow the U.S. to target their assets and improve intelligence-sharing with Ecuador.
“They are terrorists. We can assist Ecuador in combating these groups,” Rubio said.
Despite President Noboa’s ongoing efforts to tackle gang violence linked to the drug trade, killings have surged. Homicides increased by 40% in the first seven months of this year compared with the same period in 2024.
Noboa, elected earlier this year to a full term, has deployed the military to patrol the streets, while lawmakers have approved reforms—including tougher penalties—that the president says will help curb crime.
The collective-defence agreement between Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan signals that regional powers no longer want to rely solely on external security guarantees. Whether it becomes a stabilising deterrent or another axis of rivalry remains unresolved.
Shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has slowed, according to the latest data, as uncertainty over the waterway’s reopening kept most shipowners away. Six commodity vessels crossed the strait on Tuesday, down from nine the day before and below the 10-day daily average of 11.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
Iran has said the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed until the U.S. fulfils the terms of an interim deal, including lifting the maritime blockade and sanctions and releasing Iran’s frozen assets.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 19th of August, covering the latest developments.
Australia on Thursday condemned Israel’s decision to close its criminal investigation into the deaths of Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom and six World Central Kitchen colleagues killed in Gaza in April 2024.
Shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remains limited on Thursday, with no increase in vessel crossings as U.S.-Iran talks to resolve the conflict remained stalled. Nine commodity vessels transited the key waterway on Wednesday, unchanged from the previous day, according to Kpler data.
North Korea has fired more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles after U.S. President Donald Trump reduced American participation in joint military exercises with South Korea in an effort to revive dialogue with Pyongyang.
Georgia’s foreign trade data for January-July 2026 shows Kyrgyzstan, China and Russia as its top three export markets, highlighting its Middle Corridor ambitions and complex economic ties with Moscow.
Kazakhstan will vote on 23 August in its first parliamentary election under the new Constitution, choosing 145 members of the new Kurultai under a fundamentally changed electoral system based entirely on party lists.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment