Turkmenistan plans Brussels visit as EU revives long-stalled partnership deal
Turkmenistan is preparing for a presidential visit to Brussels as the European Parliament considers ratifying a partnership agreement that has been st...
A day of mourning has been declared in Portugal to pay respect to victims who lost their lives in the Lisbon Funicular crash which happened on Wednesday evening.
Prime Minister Luís Montenegro has cancelled his agenda for Thursday as Portugal observes a day of national mourning following the Ascensor da Glória tragedy in Lisbon.
"It's a tragic day for our city... Lisbon is in mourning, it is a tragic, tragic incident," Mayor of Lisbon Carlos Moedas said.
Portuguese authorities are investigating what caused the popular tourist funicular railway to hurtle down a steep hillside and crash into a building on Wednesday, killing at least 16 people and injuring 22. The traction cable linking the upper and lower carriages reportedly snapped, sending the yellow tram-like vehicle careening down the hill.
The mangled wreckage of the carriage lay at the site where it left the track, just metres from its twin at the bottom of the 265-metre slope. Eyewitnesses described a terrifying scene as passengers tried to escape.
Lisbon resident Abel Esteves, 75, was among 40 passengers in the lower car who saw the upper carriage plunge toward them before derailing at the last second. "I told my wife: 'We're all going to die here'," he said. "It picked up a brutal speed, took a slight turn and hit the building with a loud bang."
Authorities have confirmed that among the injured were Portuguese, Germans, Spaniards, Koreans, Cape Verdeans, Canadians, Italians, French, Swiss, and Moroccan citizens. Some foreign nationals were also among the dead, though officials have not released names. Local media reported that a German family of three was among the victims, with the father dying in the crash, the mother seriously injured, and their 3-year-old suffering minor injuries.
Flags flew at half-mast as the city’s two other funiculars were closed for inspections. Pope Francis sent condolences and blessings to victims, relatives, and rescuers.
"This is one of the greatest human tragedies in our recent history,” Prime Minister Luis Montenegro said, adding that he expected the investigation into the causes of the accident to be concluded swiftly. He also announced that Portugal’s state airline TAP had offered to transport families and repatriate the injured and deceased.
The cable problem was reportedly known to workers. Manuel Leal, leader of the Fectrans union, told local TV that employees had previously complained about issues with the tension of the cable, which made braking difficult. However, it is too early to confirm whether this was the cause. The municipal transport company Carris stated that "all maintenance protocols have been carried out," including monthly, weekly, and daily inspections. Police are investigating the braking system of the undamaged carriage.
Eyewitnesses described people screaming and flying out of the tram after the cable snapped. Some passengers jumped from windows of the lower car to escape.
The two cars, each capable of carrying around 40 people, alternately climb and descend the slope, linked by an electric motor-pulled cable. When the cable failed, the carriage picked up excessive speed, ploughing into cobblestones and crashing into a building.
Thirty-eight people were hurt in total. Fifteen were killed at the scene, with one more dying in hospital overnight, bringing the death toll to at least 16. Five of the injured remain in serious condition, including a child, according to the National Institute for Medical Emergencies.
Lisbon Mayor Carlos Moedas called it a "tragic day for our city" and said emergency teams from the fire brigade, civil protection, and municipal police were assisting at the scene. All trapped individuals have now been freed.
Portugal's President Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa expressed deep regret over the fatalities and serious injuries and offered condolences to the affected families, while EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen also conveyed her sympathy.
Eliane Chaves, a Brazilian resident of Lisbon, said: "People say that it was negligence but it was not negligence. They supervise it thoroughly. It was an accident, just like a plane or car accident can happen."
The Ascensor da Glória, a national monument opened in 1885, connects downtown Lisbon’s Restauradores Square with the Bairro Alto neighbourhood, known for its nightlife. The line, one of three funiculars in the city, is a popular route for tourists and locals alike, carrying around three million passengers annually. The journey covers 275 metres in just three minutes.
Lisbon has experienced a tourism boom in recent years, with visitors filling the city’s downtown area, especially during the summer months. The accident underscores both the popularity of the funicular and the potential risks inherent in steep, historic transport systems.
Cuba’s fuel crisis has turned into a waste crisis, with rubbish piling up on most street corners in Havana as many collection trucks lack enough petrol to operate.
Iran’s Revolutionary Guards navy held military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday (16 February), state-linked media reported. The drill took place a day before renewed nuclear negotiations between Tehran and Washington in Geneva.
Ruben Vardanyan has been sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Baku Military Court after being found guilty of a series of offences including war crimes, terrorism and crimes against humanity.
Canadian Prime Minister, Mark Carney, announced on 16 February that the Honourable Janice Charette has been appointed as the next Chief Trade Negotiator to the United States. She's been tasked with overseeing the upcoming review of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
The Pentagon has threatened to designate artificial intelligence firm Anthropic as a “supply chain risk” amid a dispute over the military use of its Claude AI model, according to a report published Monday.
Millions of Muslims around the world have begun observing Ramadan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar and the most sacred period in Islam.
Qarabağ FK will face Newcastle United in the UEFA Champions League play-off round on Wednesday evening in Baku, in what will be the first UEFA competition meeting between the two clubs.
Meta Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg is expected to testify in a high-profile trial in Los Angeles examining claims that the company’s platforms contributed to youth addiction and mental health harm.
The drumbeats have finally faded at the Marquês de Sapucaí, bringing the competitive phase of the Rio Carnival 2026 to a dazzling close. Over two marathon nights of spectacle, the twelve elite schools of the "Special Group" transformed the Sambadrome into a riot of colour.
Japan’s parliament has reappointed Sanae Takaichi as the country’s 105th prime minister ten days after a snap general election that handed her party a decisive two-thirds majority in the lower house.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment