Indian Prime Minister in Tokyo to boost India-Japan strategic ties
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Tokyo on Friday for a two-day summit, aiming to strengthen strategic and economic ties with Japan durin...
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday (August 28) praised Colombian President Gustavo Petro for deploying 25,000 troops to strengthen security in the Catatumbo region, a key area along the shared border between the two countries.
Tensions between the United States and Venezuela are rising amid a large U.S. naval buildup in the Southern Caribbean and nearby waters, which U.S. officials say aims to address threats from Latin American drug cartels.
U.S. President Donald Trump has made cracking down on drug cartels a central goal of his administration, part of a wider effort to limit migration and secure the U.S. southern border.
While U.S. Coast Guard and Navy ships regularly operate in the Southern Caribbean, this buildup is significantly larger than usual deployments in the region, a move which was denounced by Maduro.
The Pentagon has not indicated publicly what exactly the U.S. mission will be, but the Trump administration has said it can now use the military to go after drug cartels and criminal groups and has directed the Pentagon to prepare options.
On its part, in a message via X platform, Colombian President Gustavo Petro said he had ordered the Colombian army to increase the number of troops in the Colombian Catatumbo region “to reduce the mafia's forces as much as possible.” “It is not the land that defeats the mafia, it is the coordination between the two states that achieves this,” he added.
On Thursday, Venezuela complained to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres about the U.S. naval build-up, accusing Washington of violating the founding U.N. Charter.
The Trump administration designated Mexico's Sinaloa Cartel and other drug gangs, as well as the Venezuelan criminal group Tren de Aragua, as global terrorist organizations in February.
Maduro's government said last week it would send 15,000 troops along its western border with Colombia to combat drug trafficking groups.
Maduro has also called for civil defence groups to train each Friday and Saturday.
Maduro's government regularly accuses the opposition and foreigners of conspiring with U.S. entities such as the CIA to harm Venezuela, accusations the opposition and the U.S. have always denied. It characterizes sanctions as "economic war."
A powerful eruption at Japan’s Shinmoedake volcano sent an ash plume more than 3,000 metres high on Sunday morning, prompting safety warnings from authorities.
According to the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ), a magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck the Oaxaca region of Mexico on Saturday.
The UK is gearing up for Exercise Pegasus 2025, its largest pandemic readiness test since COVID-19. Running from September to November, this full-scale simulation will challenge the country's response to a fast-moving respiratory outbreak.
Kuwait says oil prices will likely stay below $72 per barrel as OPEC monitors global supply trends and U.S. policy signals. The remarks come during market uncertainty fueled by new U.S. tariffs on India and possible sanctions on Russia.
Microsoft has dismissed four employees for protesting against its ties to Israel, including two who staged a sit-in at the office of company president Brad Smith this week.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Tokyo on Friday for a two-day summit, aiming to strengthen strategic and economic ties with Japan during growing U.S. trade pressures.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy urged European leaders to define clear security guarantees for Ukraine during a virtual meeting, stressing the need for unity and stronger pressure on Russia amid ongoing war.
Protesters in Jakarta again confronted police on 28 August, expressing outrage over lawmakers’ high salaries and perks. The unrest turned tragic when a motorcyclist was killed by a police vehicle, leading President Prabowo Subianto to call for calm and launch an investigation.
Kim Keon Hee, the wife of South Korea's ousted former President Yoon Suk Yeol, has been indicted for bribery and other charges, a special prosecution team said on Friday, during a widening probe into the country's martial law crisis and scandals involving the once powerful couple.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment