live Trump says attack on Iran was paused, signals possible nuclear deal- Middle East conflict
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he had paused a planned attack on Iran after Tehran sent a peace proposal to Washington. He said th...
According to two Indian government sources speaking to Reuters, India will maintain its oil imports from Russia despite US President Donald Trump’s threats of sanctions over purchases of Russian oil and arms.
Last month, Trump imposed a 25% additional tariff on India’s exports to the U.S. and, in a social media post, warned of further sanctions due to India’s purchases of Russian oil and arms. On Friday, he told reporters that he had heard India would no longer buy oil from Russia.
However, government sources immediately stressed that no such change would take place. One source said, “These are long-term oil contracts, and it’s not possible to stop purchases overnight.”
Another source justified India’s purchase of Russian oil by stating that it has helped prevent a sharp rise in global oil prices. Despite Western restrictions on Russia, prices have remained stable.
It was also noted that unlike Iranian and Venezuelan oil, Russian crude is not directly subject to sanctions, and India is buying it below the price cap set by the European Union.
The New York Times, citing two senior Indian officials, also reported that there has been no change in the government’s policy on purchasing Russian oil.
Official government bodies did not respond to enquiries on the matter.
At a press conference on Friday, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal highlighted India’s “steady and long-term partnership” with Russia, adding that energy procurement decisions are based on market availability and global circumstances.
Trump’s priority is to end the war in Ukraine, and he has maintained a tough stance against Russia. He has threatened 100% tariffs on US imports from countries buying Russian oil unless Moscow reaches a major peace deal.
Russia is India’s largest oil supplier, accounting for about 35% of the country’s total oil needs. India imported approximately 1.75 million barrels of Russian oil per day from January to June this year, marking a 1% increase year-on-year.
However, sources say that in July, Indian state-owned refiners reduced their purchases of Russian oil due to discounts narrowing to their lowest levels since 2022 and a decline in Russian exports.
Indian Oil Corp, Hindustan Petroleum Corp, Bharat Petroleum Corp, and Mangalore Refinery Petrochemical Ltd have not recently purchased Russian crude.
Meanwhile, Nayara Energy — whose major shareholder is the Russian company Rosneft — has been subjected to sanctions by the European Union.
Following these sanctions, Nayara Energy’s chief executive resigned, and three oil-carrying vessels belonging to the company have yet to unload their cargoes due to the new EU measures.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia and China are prepared to support each other on issues linked to sovereignty and national unity, ahead of his visit to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 19th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A U.S. jury has ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the company not liable over claims it had abandoned its original mission to benefit humanity.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque before the suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment