U.S. President Trump announces new 10% global tariff after Supreme Court setback
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff” on imports. The development...
In Mayotte rescuers are fighting against time, as hundreds are feared dead after tropical storm struck the archipelago. Territory’s residents and aid organizations are facing significant challenges. France works to support its poorest region through this crisis.
On December 14, Cyclone Chido struck the French overseas territory of Mayotte, the poorest region of France, devastating large parts of the archipelago.
The storm, which was the strongest to hit the Indian Ocean islands in nearly a century, caused widespread destruction with winds exceeding 200 kph (124 mph). The cyclone left homes scattered over hillsides, and areas were left without power, drinking water, or phone services.
Emergency workers are currently scrambling to find survivors and clear blocked roads. Despite their efforts, large areas remain inaccessible, complicating relief efforts.
Drone footage captured on December 15 revealed the extent of the damage, showing partially destroyed roofs and debris scattered across hillsides. The video was verified through matching landmarks, such as buildings, roads, solar panels, and a playground, with satellite imagery of the region.
The cyclone hit Mayotte overnight, and the full extent of the damage and death toll is still unclear.
French Interior Minister Bruno Retailleau arrived on December 16 to assess the situation, acknowledging that it would take days to determine the true scale of the disaster. He stated that the death toll is difficult to estimate at this stage, but several hundred, possibly even thousands, are feared dead.
Local authorities reported widespread destruction, with makeshift houses destroyed and boats overturned. Key infrastructure, including government buildings and a hospital, also sustained significant damage. People sought shelter wherever possible, with some hiding under tables to protect themselves from the storm.
The Red Cross dispatched an initial shipment of 30 tonnes of emergency supplies, including tools, shovels, blankets, solar lamps, and hygiene kits. However, the logistics of delivering aid are complex due to the damaged infrastructure.
Mayotte, located nearly 8,000 km (5,000 miles) from Paris, is one of France's poorest territories. More than three-quarters of its population live below the poverty line, and the territory has long struggled with social unrest and gang violence.
Earlier this year, tensions flared due to a water shortage. The cyclone has further strained the already fragile living conditions, making recovery efforts all the more urgent.
Quentin Griffiths, co-founder of online fashion retailer ASOS, has died in Pattaya, Thailand, after falling from the 17th floor of a condominium on 9 February, Thai police confirmed.
The Board of Peace will be "looking over the United Nations," said U.S. President Donald Trump at the inaugural Washington meeting, where representatives from over 20 countries gathered to unveil plans for Gaza’s reconstruction and coordinate international support.
At least four people have died and 17 others were injured after a liquid gas truck overturned and exploded in Santiago, Chile’s capital, authorities confirmed on Thursday. Police said the driver was among those killed.
The Armenian Cabinet has approved a military-technical cooperation agreement (MTC) with Poland, which will be forwarded to parliament for ratification following its signing, according to Armenian media.
Cubans are increasingly turning to solar power to keep businesses operating and basic household appliances running during prolonged electricity cuts, as fuel shortages make diesel generators and other temporary solutions more difficult and costly to maintain.
President Donald Trump said on Friday (20 February) he will sign an executive order imposing a new 10% “global tariff” on imports. The development comes hours after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Trump's sweeping “reciprocal” import duties in a major setback to his trade agenda.
The U.S. military carried out a strike Friday (20 February) on a vessel allegedly engaged in narcotrafficking in the Eastern Pacific, according to the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM).
UK politicians have renewed calls for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly Prince Andrew, to be removed from the line of succession following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office and revelations over his links to convicted U.S. sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Start your day informed with AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top news stories for the 21st of February, covering the latest developments you need to know.
Police in Tirana fired tear gas and used water cannon in clashes on Friday (20 February) with opposition protesters demanding the resignation of the Albanian government following corruption allegations against the deputy prime minister.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment