Israel stops dozens of Gaza aid flotilla boats in nighttime operation
Israeli forces intercepted dozens of Gaza-bound aid vessels in the eastern Mediterranean on Monday (18 May), prompting condemnation from the United...
The Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary, West Africa’s largest refuge for rescued primates, has remained closed to tourists for over two months as its founder protests the intensification of deforestation near the protected forest in Sierra Leone.
Bala Amarasekaran, who established the sanctuary in 1995, says land seizures and illegal logging are encroaching dangerously close to the site, which houses over 100 orphaned chimpanzees.
“A few months back, we could see the land grabbing and the encroachment coming closer to the sanctuary,” Amarasekaran said. “(Deforestation) is really threatening the sanctuary's existence, because it's too dangerous when people come close to a wildlife preserve like this.”
Sierra Leone lost around 2.17 million hectares of forest cover between 2001 and 2024—approximately 39% of its tree cover in 2000—according to Global Forest Watch.
The Western Area Peninsula, where both the capital Freetown and Tacugama are located, lost over 10,000 hectares in the same period.
“Look at that place where I'm pointing at. If you look at the left hand side, you'll see a thick forest, and that has been standing there since the time I've been here, over 30 years,” said Amarasekaran. “Now, this other area, you can begin to see just the single strands of trees that shows that they [deforesters] have breached. The green belt is further and they have already breached, they have gone beyond the green belt and they are approaching the Takirama dam.”
Amarasekaran added that deforestation is being driven primarily by land grabbing for development, rather than by traditional uses like charcoal production.
“Charcoal, firewood, cutting down trees, it's quick money. You just take an axe, that's the only investment. It’s one axe, two people, you go into the forest, the forest is free for you... But inside Western area peninsula, I think the major deforestation is caused by greed. It is land grabbing, period.”
The sanctuary, normally open to eco-tourists and volunteers, closed its doors in May due to safety concerns.
“I cannot take the risk to keep the sanctuary open for public because there are dangers associated with it,” Amarasekaran said.
“Because suppose in the last year they put fire very close to the chimpanzee holding facility... if the fire started coming in last year some of the chimps were trying to escape and if they do there is going to be definitely a tragedy... chimps might get killed by people or chimps can also attack people so this is a place you don't tamper with.”
In 2017, a deadly mudslide on nearby Sugarloaf Mountain killed an estimated 1,000 people.
A 2019 study by the Geological Society of London linked the disaster to deforestation, heavy rainfall, and unregulated development, noting that tree loss had reduced the soil’s ability to absorb water and maintain its structure.
Amarasekaran said President Julius Maada Bio responded to his concerns by dispatching a task force to demolish some encroachments three months ago. But he criticised the lack of follow-up.
Information Minister Chernor Bah acknowledged the seriousness of the situation.
“It's a serious problem, it's an existential problem,” he said.
“We regret that the Tacugama authorities have taken the step that they have taken to shut down here, but it's one that we understand and we share the outrage in the invasion by some of our compatriots into those lands in a way that's threatening all of us.”
“This requires collaboration across government,” Bah added. “But this also requires, frankly, civic engagement, citizens' awareness, climate awareness about what this is, why it's important, how we must protect the water resources that are there.”
For now, Tacugama’s chimpanzees remain under the care of the sanctuary staff, while its founder awaits decisive and sustained government action.
The World Urban Forum (WUF13) continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 18 May, addressing the global housing crisis. The day’s agenda includes the official opening press conference, the WUF13 Urban Expo opening and a ministerial dialogue on the Nairobi Declaration to advance Africa's urban agenda.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday he had paused a planned attack on Iran after appeals from the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, allowing negotiations to continue over a possible deal to end the conflict.
A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck China’s Guangxi region early on Monday, killing two people and forcing more than 7,000 residents in Liuzhou to evacuate as rescue efforts continued.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), warning that the situation poses a significant risk of cross-border spread in Central Africa.
Eurovision Song Contest once again proved how unpredictable its outcome can be, with Bulgaria’s Dara turning a late surge into a dominant win while several expected contenders collapsed early. At the same time, the absence of the South Caucasus region from the final raised questions.
United Nations World Urban Forum 13 continues in Baku, Azerbaijan on 19 May with sessions and roundtable discussions focused on strengthening dialogue and advancing cooperation in urban development. Organisers say there are nearly 3 billion people globally who face some form of housing inadequacy.
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Russia and China are prepared to support each other on issues linked to sovereignty and national unity, ahead of his visit to Beijing for talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
Start your day informed with the AnewZ Morning Brief. Here are the top stories for the 19th of May, covering the latest developments you need to know.
A U.S. jury has ruled against Elon Musk in his lawsuit against OpenAI, finding the company not liable over claims it had abandoned its original mission to benefit humanity.
Two teenage gunmen opened fire on Monday at the Islamic Center of San Diego, California, killing a security guard and two other men outside the mosque before the suspects were found dead, apparently from self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
You can download the AnewZ application from Play Store and the App Store.
What is your opinion on this topic?
Leave the first comment